'Legs' - O. briareus

The testing is done all over, the school I choose to do it with is about 2 hours north of here near Jensen Beach. The Coast Guard Office is in West Virginia. Miami used to process the license, but not anymore, homeland security changed everything.

Say, hi, for me. If he looks blank when you say my name, say Ken's webmaster.

It will be interesting to see if you come home with a merc or a joubini. If he is getting a regular supply of joubini this year I am going to have sooo much egg on my face. It took me forever to convince Ken (and I never really did, in spite of raising the young - not viable with joubini, Ken finally sent one to Roy for ID) and it took a couple of more years before Tom changed his listing (Dana just uses the word dwarf when he has them for sale :smile:). Trying to explain how they look different is difficult but a joubini typically is not a red as a merc (more yellowish brown than reddish) and has much longer arms. When it is white, it could be mistaken for a baby briareus except there is not webbing. Mercs will curl their arms around one eye so that all you see is an eye surrounded by suckers. Joubini arms are at least twice the mantle length and mercs usually only about 1.5 times (kind of stubby and quick to taper).

Keep in mind that neither will be very interactive (definitely not like Legs). Out of all of mercs, only Sisturus was very human social followed by his tankmate, Medusa. (Trapper would interact some and would curl up in my hand at the very end of her life). I suspect Medusa would have been less so except he always took Sisty's lead. Little Sleazy is fun to have and she will lasso a finger but it is not playing (Sisty would play and come for petting). I recommend keeping a pair rather than just one. If you have a choice, see if you can ID a male from the arms. IMO, they are far more active and outlive the females. If you want a pregnant female, look for one with the fattest mantle (be aware that you won't see her for long and that she will die soon after the young hatch).

The Beast!

DSCN2038.jpg

measure.jpg

That would be sad but it was bound to happen. She is extrodinary girl. I have really enjoyed her photos and videos. The best is the one where she is trying to escape, that is my favorite octopus photo of all time, her legs look so thick and powerful. Heres hoping she hasn't :fingerscrossed:

I didn't want to mention that the center bulge and swollen looking back of the mantle (where the ovaries are located) in the last photos suggested this was coming. I disrupted KaySoh's den after 2 weeks (through discussions with Roy, this seems to be about the time the eggs rot away and I did not see any) and she did start coming out a little for awhile (there are signs - things moved around in the tank - that she may come out some now but we have not seen her).

sorry to hear it, I know you've become really attached to Legs...

I saw Legs out and just hanging on the back wall. I had just walked in from being out at diner and I saw her as soon as I wakjed up to the talk she retreated down to her den. There are still a lot of shrimp hanging around in her tank,...at least i have something to look at:roll:

been following this one since the beginning, and i cant imagine how hard this is to watch first hand (if i am this sad this far removed). i know you gave legs the best life, hopefully she will stick with you for a while longer.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back