'Legs' - O. briareus

hobogato;151413 said:
been following this one since the beginning, and i cant imagine how hard this is to watch first hand (if i am this sad this far removed). i know you gave legs the best life, hopefully she will stick with you for a while longer.

Thanks it's really is going to suck when she finally goes. At least I somewhat know what to expect. She has been a great creature and my entire goal with her was to get a full year outta her and maybe a little more. Also at least I will have my two new guys to help me through the grieving process.

You will likely make your goal for length of time. Conanny and KaySoh (one with viable and one with infertile eggs) both lived well over a month in their brooding state. Even Kalypso lived long after his retirement to his den. KaySoh was looking gray yesterday morning but had color last night and will occassionally come to the front of her den. She must come out a little as things get rearranged but we don't see her out any more.

She was out again today, but she did not hunt or play just popped up hung out for a few minutes and went back to her den.

DSCN2056.jpg

Interesting, I just saw Legs eat. I was just sitting watching TV just now and I saw a few arms come out from all over and grabbed a few of the shrimp that have been in her tank since 2/27/10 ! she grabbed only a few, it happened so fast I didn't get a count. Later tonight I will be able to tell, all the shrimp hang out together under the moonlights at night.

We have seen (but not lately) KaySoh poop on occassion and have noted things moved around in the tank. Neal has tried to target extra Cyclop-eeze into her den and I put a live crab in the tank when the last one disappears but she rejects anything offerred directly.

Today Legs was pretty active. She actually caught and ate the rest of the shrimp in her tank and she came out for some play which was rather surprising to me. I was also able to get current accurate measurements

tip to tip she is 43 1/4" (109.9 cm)
mantle is 6 7/8" (17.3 cm)

Legs is HUGE!

Nancy mentioned that Ollie (bimac) came out after the eggs were gone. KaySoh is staying in her den all the time but she did some hous cleaning a couple of days ago and pushed out some of the sand. We had hoped she would stay out but that was all we saw of her. There is a fiddler in there, just in case she chooses to eat something but she hasn't taken food in a long time.

Ollie was also large and could stretch her arms over 20 inches, like Legs. So here is an Ollie story:

After brooding infertile eggs, Ollie seemed to think it was OK to leave the den as long as the tip of one arm stayed on that rock! So she could move about the tank.

Once she retrieved a piece of shrimp for me that she had blown away because she didn't want it. It had fallen into a crevice at the far corner of the tank, where I was digging for it with the feeding stick. Then I felt the stick move, and it was Ollie, gently pushing it away so she could find the shimp and give it to me. After she retrieved it, she took it back to her den, then came out with the shrimp in her front arms and tossed it towards me.

Nancy

Nancy;152218 said:
Ollie was also large and could stretch her arms over 20 inches, like Legs. So here is an Ollie story:

After brooding infertile eggs, Ollie seemed to think it was OK to leave the den as long as the tip of one arm stayed on that rock! So she could move about the tank.

Once she retrieved a piece of shrimp for me that she had blown away because she didn't want it. It had fallen into a crevice at the far corner of the tank, where I was digging for it with the feeding stick. Then I felt the stick move, and it was Ollie, gently pushing it away so she could find the shimp and give it to me. After she retrieved it, she took it back to her den, then came out with the shrimp in her front arms and tossed it towards me.

Nancy

That is just about the cutest thing I've ever heard :smile:

Well I went and grabbed Legs a dozen live shrimp. She immediately caught 4 and ate them. Later she came out to hunt more but she just wasn't fast enough to get any, so I grabbed a few and put them on a stick and offered them to her and she gladly accepted them and returned to her den.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back