late notice: a new Squid Invasion on Discovery TONIGHT

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
erich orser;128400 said:
What did I miss!?!
In addition to the usual good underwater pics, a lot of Dr's Gilly and Wood, including trying to keep animals alive from boat to lab (sadly, no win there) to try to do high-speed filming and microscopy of the flashing to see if it's a communication channel. They did find that when stimulated electrically, the chromatophores that cause the flashing are a different set than the ones that are visible normally.

Also, Scott Cassell sticks an endoscope into a live Humboldt, so you can see gills, beating hearts, etc.

Also, Gilly's lab takes eggs and sperm from caught squids, does in vitro fertilization, and raises the young for 10 days. Also, Gilly finds and films and samples the gelatinous egg mass of Humboldts. Also, Gilly dissects a lot of giant axons out of 'em: apparently, unlike sluggish big squids like Architeuthis, Humboldts actually have a scaled-up giant axon with the usual benefits for physiology research.

That's about all I can remember, aside from the usual footage. I was glad to see Gilly & Scott presented in a less adversarial way, although they weren't ever on camera at the same time.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished watching (DVRed it) and Neal and I both thought it was the best squid program yet (I do wish Discovery would not rehash the subject after each commercial but at least there were a minimum number). I did recognized some of Dale's film work :biggrin2: but we still could not identify tentacles in the arm "cluster" (proper name someone?). The documentary said they are present in the Humbolt but they are not obvious in the films.

Dale, Neal wanted to know if you have ever located what/who plays the music underwater but that question probably belongs in the Cthulhu thread :shock:

Reaction score
dwhatley;128457 said:
Dale, Neal wanted to know if you have ever located what/who plays the music underwater but that question probably belongs in the Cthulhu thread :shock:

Yes, my theory is that it is a combination of trumpet fish and guitar fish playing the creepy music, they are just trying to freak out the divers.....:shock:

ceph

Wonderpus
Staff member
Reaction score
dwhatley;128457 said:
Just finished watching (DVRed it) and Neal and I both thought it was the best squid program yet.

Wow, thanks. It was a lot of fun to be a part of this production and meet Gilly and others in person. The film crew was also great. Those squid were HUGE compared to the reef squid I usually work on.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
ceph;128699 said:
Wow, thanks. It was a lot of fun to be a part of this production and meet Gilly and others in person. The film crew was also great. Those squid were HUGE compared to the reef squid I usually work on.
Nice to see you here! Neal and I recognized you as well as Dr. Gilly :wink:. Still living part time on a boat?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
ceph;128699 said:
Hey! Great to see you posting again!

Any chance you could explain a bit more details about the chromatophores and flashing, and perhaps the reproductive discoveries as well?

Omega

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
not to resurrect an old threat but uhh..i just saw this and it was amazing. The communication possibilities.. are incredible. was there ever any more learned about the the flashing?

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mellen221

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak