Larger species recommendations?

I love the rays but will never have a tank large enough for even a small one (I have a hard time keeping up with the 8+ smaller ones I have :smile:) . I have been tempted from the requirement given by people selling them but further research has made me drop the consideration.

Yeah - I heard 400-500 gallons, and that tank is 1720 gallons internal + 300 gallon sump, and it was not remotely large enough for the cownose and their activity level. I'm building a substantially large tank for them in the next year or so (depending on permitting and such).

Can I come snorkeling?

How do you clean something that large (and if I am not mistaken it is acrylic so scratching is a concern - I do notice that you don't have a lot of algae encouraging lighting though)? I think I would have to pay the neighborhood kids and offer free snorkeling lessons but it looks like they need a lot of running room and far less front to back space. I wonder how they would do in a giant habitrail type tube arrangement. Then all you would need is a giant bottle brush to clean it and they could wander the whole house without a lot of weight in any one location :sagrin:. I need to stop thinking about it because I could get too interested in trying something :roll:.

Yeah, I've been quite fortunate with the algae issue (you can't see it in the pics, but there's a big window immediately to the right). The guitarfish does a very good job of constantly sifting the top layer of tands, and the starfish/urchins do a good job of keeping the glass clean. I've never actually had to clean the inside of the tank in the 8 months I've had it up and running - I monitor water quality daily, and the protein skimmer is nearly my height. Uses 4x 55W UV sterilizers too. It's a Tenecor tank - they do good work.

dwhatley;149027 said:
If they are found close together, they may be fine. Bimacs are the only other species we have on record as living peacfully with sibblings but we really don't know what happened as they grew up since the member who raised them went off to college and his dad did not keep contact. We do know that there was a tank mating but that is the end of the reporting.

Octopus huttoni can live together in a tank they set up a hierachy ( I did some research a few years back) but unless you live in NZ then your going to be hard pressed to get them. It's also a matter of resource for them if they don't get enough food or places to hide then you've got trouble.

Nice tank by the way. If you get thick enough acrylic you can get a super magnet (I can give you the details if you like) it has acrylic pads and works like a normal tank magnet but is really strong. Ummm you won't be able to use it if you have a pacemaker!:shock:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back