Ladybugs

NickA5582

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
Okay this is probably the stupidest question asked here but we have tons of ladybugs around our house now, and the keep falling in to my tank. Will this hurt my octo? Also, I think Pudge ate one.

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
The proof that I've become an armchair aquarist is that when I read your question, Nick, my initial response was "That depends on the quantity of copper in ladybugs." :lol: :oops: Sorry.

Melissa

supernick

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
ruh-roh!

if "pudge"hasnt died, dont let it near any more. if he STILL dosnt die, feed him another. if then he dies, :goofysca: if not , they might be good for it.

might

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Cover up the tank and call the exterminator!!! Actually just covering the tank will do. Better be safe than sorry though.

Chamkeeper

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
As an avid reptile keeper, (chameleons especially), I can tell you that ladybugs as well as 'lightning bugs' both contain toxins. How they react to your octos physiology is unknown to me, however, I would guess the toxins can not be good as food or water additives.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about exterminating them!!! Aren't they good luck :) in your home??? I would go with extra covering of the tank! They will eventually die off.

Chamkeeper - Did you go to the reptile show near Reading this past weekend? I was amazed at all the venomous snakes there!

Carol

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
AH yes...the PA is the last bastion of "hot" reptiles...sigh. I wish we were a bit free-er out here on that subject...but, we can keep quite a few rattlesnakes. I used to have the nicest collection of tree vipers...
On the subject of the beetles... I wouldn't worry overmuch about one beetle being eaten, but I wouldn't push your luck...cover that tank! I think that spraying (the exterminator) would be worse than the beetles though...we stopped using toxins about 3 years ago...bought 6 banana geckos and just let them loose...works out great! (except for when we had to move...fast little buggers). Nary a cricket, scorpion, spider or roach shows its head for very long !
Greg

NickA5582

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
Pudge is still doing well although he still doesn't change colors like all the other octos that I hear about. I just finished covering the tank (again) with duct tape. We also have a bunch of boxelder bugs, are they as bad as the ladybugs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pturski

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards