It don't get no fresher than this...

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Euprymna, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Euprymna

Euprymna O. vulgaris Registered

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:yuck: I'm not opposed to eating cephs as a rule, but it seems like that's pretty cruel to do to an intelligent-enough-to-probably-be-aware animal. (I figure oysters, for example, don't really much know what's going on). It also seems like you'd be at pretty high risk for a lot of beak bites on your mouth, tongue, esophogus, and stomach... "try the blue ring, Albert, it's a delicacy" comes to mind...

3. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

man that is just wrong heh...

4. ant

ant Vampyroteuthis Registered

THAT OFFENDS ME DEEPLY (joking) Oscar the octopod....:cry:

5. bmatson

bmatson O. bimaculoides Registered

:shock: I agree that seems pretty cruel. Especially they way they shoved the chopstick right in its mantle cavity and wrapped it around.
    Ben

6. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

:yuck: I just don't want to watch...

7. a rabid squid

a rabid squid GPO Supporter

it seems a little better than getting thrown into boiling water. but i have to try that someday. it doesnt look like it tastes great but you know it looks like the coolest sensation ever. supposedly a few people have died from the octopus clinging to a tonsil or something.

8. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

You don't want to know what they do to dogs...

#8    Top
  9. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Yeah, I chose not to even watch it through... the snarky announcer and script shows that the intelligence of the creatures in the dish were superior to those who produced the show... and probably the people eating as well... but I'm more annoyed with the glamorization / exploitation of it all... for some cheap production that was probably watched and quickly forgotten by a few thousand viewers. Pleh!

10. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

That is just wrong. They're trying to get away.....I couldn't watch the end....

11. aximbigfan

aximbigfan GPO Registered

yeah, i agree crull.. i wouldnt mind seeing those people in a small bowl with a chopstick stuck up their butt..

chris

12. ant

ant Vampyroteuthis Registered

But Oscar the octopus!! I had squid once but that wasnt moving.. That is kinda a weird thing to do to an octopus.

13. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I saw something similar on the travel channel not long ago (think it was Anthony Bourdain). While I pretty much feel that protein is protein (hell I've even eaten armadillo), and ocotopus is pretty tasty, I can't see eating octos live. Now tentacles in tempura with a little sweet and sour sauce that's another story.

14. cttlfish

cttlfish Blue Ring Registered

besides feeling deeply disturbed and rather quesy, all I can say is that if I ever get served that in a restaurant, I will have an aquarium under the table for them.

save the squid :squid: !

:archi: not equal to :popcorn:

15. Euprymna

well I sort of agree with you guys, it's very cuel the way they handle them but do not assume the animals turned into squid rings were killed in a more respectful manner...
    saying this, I will never eat octopus like that...simply because I like my food to be cooked!

eups

16. Graeme

Graeme Vampyroteuthis Registered

I was thinking exactly the same thing. OK so maybe it's a traditional way they eat octopus, but the commentator!? Why!
    That's just awful!! I really don't think I could eat any animal live! I just feel it's wrong. I've had squid rings before, and breaded cuttlefish, and both are very nice, but I don't know if I could bring myself to eat a poor wee ocopus, dead or alive!

Graeme

17. Euprymna

Allright, the narration was very bad and seeing them eating alive octopus was not nice to see for me too and I totally relate to that first impression of uncomprehension but octo might prefer dying that way than to struggle for hours on the deck of a ship before they suffocate!
    On the other hand eating them like them musn't be very tasty...

eups