Inklet Update!!!

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by corw314, Feb 22, 2004.

1. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

It's been almost 24 hours since Inklets arrival! I spent last night and part of this morning running around to LFS trying to find reasonably priced hermitcrabs. Know what his favorite food is? Local snails Jess & I caught in the summer/fall!! Luckily we still have around 30 of them in a feeder tank! So far he's eaten 3 of them! Next week I am getting fiddler crabs from Aquaculture, so I should be set with food for awhile! Lil Pumpkin eats 1 crab a day with frozen prawn thrown in here and there!

Inklet has been up the eheim tube, under the bubble filter, and digging in all corners of the tank! I even found him balancing on the plastic plant in his tank. Looked like he was bouncing on it! I have found if I hold a flashlight to take pictures, he doesnt get freaked. I don't want to use the flash yet.

He's always sitting in a spot where he can keep an eye on us! I have started tapping on the tank lightly so he gets used to knowing I'm there when he hears this sound. Lil P comes out when I tap on his now!

Jim emailed me to make sure everything was ok. I am waiting for his reply to see if I too have a sibling!! How many would that make?

So far so good!!! :mrgreen:
    Carol

2. neptune

neptune Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Carol,

He sounds as mischievous as Ochi!! I too have notticed no fear of the flashlight. Me thinks its because naturally they are a shallow water species.

My count has the sibs at 3 so far, but perhaps more. Have we started a poll yet? If so I missed it! :oops:

Ochi digs for clams, it's really cool to watch, even if he doesn't have many to find. He usually eats everything given in round 1.

Glad to hear Inklet is adjusting so fast! 8)

3. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

Glad to hear Inklet and Ochi are doing ok. :)
    Got any pics of him, Carol?

4. corw314

No good pictures yet. Think I already posted this one on another board. He's a little shy right now!

Thought you all would like to read what Jim from Octopets wrote back:

"I'm glad he arrived in good shape, yes he is from the same batch as the other members and anyone who has order in the last 6 weeks. Yours was the last octopus that I will be selling from that batch. the rest(20 octo's) will be raised to adults mated with octo's from other batches and lay eggs of their own."

Pretty amazing he keeps 20 babies from a batch! Looks like I got the last sibling!!!!

:D Carol

5. neptune

Very 8)

BOE is going to be upset, I think he was really trying to get a sib this week!

6. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

im sure arms could be twisted :)

7. neptune

I would have to agree with you Colin. Jim is a good supplier, however, if not, I don't want to be around when BOE finds out :yelling: . :lol:

BOE - you should call Jim today! I know you are shooting for 2-29, but I would get him to hold one till next week if possible, if you still want a sib that is!

8. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

yeah, we'd have about 3 million posts in one day :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

:cry: :cry:

Ill try to order tomorrow. Ill run some tests soon but last I checked the nitrates were high. :( Also Im not sure if I can be here when they deliver.

Wonder why they call me Bursts Ov Energy? :heee:

10. corw314

How high? Is everything else stable? I heard it's ammonia and nitrite that is the problem.

Carol

11. Burstsovenergy24

About 40. Ill check the nitrite and ammo after the next commercial of the Simpsons. I want my Octo! :(

12. neptune

:roflmao:

40 is high but bearable, when was the last water change. Dont freak on that!
    Have you gotten to check the other params yet?

Just deliever here, always ready to help out. :P

13. Burstsovenergy24

Nitrite - 0

Ammo - 0

Im gonna try to get some distilled water tonight. Ive really never done a water change because there was no reason to.

I have a plan...since octopets sells to fishsupply maybe I can get the sibling from there! I hope this works...

14. neptune

Call Jim @ Octopets he is in CA.

Params look stable, but there is always a reason to do water changes, are the scarlet and brittle not in this tank?
    Do a H2O change and you should be doing better. Plan on those at least every 2-3 weeks max!!

15. Burstsovenergy24

I know I know. Yeah the crabs and brittle are in this tank but I never did a real water change. I added some water when it got low in the tank. I do think I changed some at the 6th or so, though. :|

Im gonna call him.

16. neptune

What is your salinity? Have you checked it?

17. corw314

I remember Hermin my first Octopus, after I found this site, took my water to my LFS and the nitrate was off the charts!! Deadly to fish, but Hermin had existed in my old tank for 4 months at that point!

I did weekly water changes to bring it down. 40 is not bad!! Good idea on Fish Supply, if you want I could email jim and beg him for one more!!!!!

Carol

18. neptune

Carol,

Lets get him. I think like Colin said arms could be twisted. OUCH :lol:

19. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Yes, check pH and salinity. These should be checked frequently.

It's a good idea to have saltwater with the correct parameters already made up and ready for a water change, just in case.

As for the siblings, you might be able to reserve a bimac and have it shipped a bit later.

Nancy

20. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

I think I read octos can stand up to 50 nitrate without effects on them?

My mom used to have an octo named Hermin, lived for two days in a bucket and now is in a jar of fermeldahyde somewhere in Texas.

Good luck getting your bimac, BOE!