Information Request on Squid Species

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by #30Girl, Aug 7, 2009.

1. #30Girl

#30Girl Wonderpus Registered

:talker:Hey, I was looking at some squid pictures on google and came across a weird looking squid called the Magnapinna. Could I get some more information on this species?:confused:

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

My understanding is that there is almost no information known about it. It's been filmed several times by submersibles, but no specimen has been captured. It's a weird one!

3. ckeiser

ckeiser GPO Supporter

The Tree of Life Web is a great project with an amazing abundance of information. Most of the current state of knowledge about Magnapinnidae should be found here.

http://www.tolweb.org/Magnapinna

4. bathypol

bathypol Wonderpus Registered

There are a couple of articles written about this family. You may need to order them through your library because I'm not sure if they are open access or not. But here are the references:

Vecchione, M. and Young, RE. 1998. The Magnipinnidae, a newly discovered family of oceanic squid (Cephalopoda: Oegopsida). South African Journal of Marine Science. 20(1): 429-437

Vecchione, M. and Young, RE. 2006. The squid family Magnapinnidae (Mollusca: Cephalopoda) in the Atlantic Ocean, with a description of a new species. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. 119(3): 365-372

There is also some video of this creature on the Smithsonian site, I think it's under a link called Cephalopods in Motion, but you'd have to check.

Hope that helps :)

5. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

6. bathypol

bathypol Wonderpus Registered

That's why I couldn't find the link. Thanks :)

7. #30Girl

#30Girl Wonderpus Registered

Thanks. The video website was very informational.