Information Request on Squid Species

#30Girl

Wonderpus
Registered
:talker:Hey, I was looking at some squid pictures on google and came across a weird looking squid called the Magnapinna. Could I get some more information on this species?:confused:

My understanding is that there is almost no information known about it. It's been filmed several times by submersibles, but no specimen has been captured. It's a weird one!

The Tree of Life Web is a great project with an amazing abundance of information. Most of the current state of knowledge about Magnapinnidae should be found here.

Magnapinna

There are a couple of articles written about this family. You may need to order them through your library because I'm not sure if they are open access or not. But here are the references:

Vecchione, M. and Young, RE. 1998. The Magnipinnidae, a newly discovered family of oceanic squid (Cephalopoda: Oegopsida). South African Journal of Marine Science. 20(1): 429-437

Vecchione, M. and Young, RE. 2006. The squid family Magnapinnidae (Mollusca: Cephalopoda) in the Atlantic Ocean, with a description of a new species. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. 119(3): 365-372

There is also some video of this creature on the Smithsonian site, I think it's under a link called Cephalopods in Motion, but you'd have to check.

Hope that helps :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back