• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

I'm a newbie

mwl76

Larval Mass
Registered
i have a 20 gallon or so tank that would like to turn into a reef tank, and i would like to put a cephalopod in a reef tank, preferably a cuttlefish as octopus eat practilcy anything and are escape artists. are there any species that i could put in the reef tank?
i am currently looking at sepia bandensis, and metasepia pffeferi (although i know these are rare)

asid61

GPO
Registered
:welcome: to TONMO
Don't go for metasepia, as their populations in the wild are unknown. Thales will probably respond soon.

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Supporter
IMO 20 gallon is pretty small for any ceph. Though bandensis are much easier to come-by as far as cuttlefish go, you still have the best chance of keeping one alive by acquiring eggs. Live cuttlefish don't ship well at all.

The only other warning I'd have with putting any ceph in a reef tank is to avoid the stinging corals. Softies do pretty well.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Welcome mwl76! Let us know how this progresses and good luck.

Members online

No members online now.