• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I'm a newbie

mwl76

Hatchling
Registered
i have a 20 gallon or so tank that would like to turn into a reef tank, and i would like to put a cephalopod in a reef tank, preferably a cuttlefish as octopus eat practilcy anything and are escape artists. are there any species that i could put in the reef tank?
i am currently looking at sepia bandensis, and metasepia pffeferi (although i know these are rare)

:welcome: to TONMO
Don't go for metasepia, as their populations in the wild are unknown. Thales will probably respond soon.

IMO 20 gallon is pretty small for any ceph. Though bandensis are much easier to come-by as far as cuttlefish go, you still have the best chance of keeping one alive by acquiring eggs. Live cuttlefish don't ship well at all.

The only other warning I'd have with putting any ceph in a reef tank is to avoid the stinging corals. Softies do pretty well.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back