I always wondered about this photo...

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by Graeme, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Graeme

Graeme Vampyroteuthis Registered

Is this a photo of a dying Humboldt? I remember it was circulating round the media about 2 or 3 years ago. If this is a Humboldt then :goofysca: I'll have to remember that next time I'm snorkling... wouldn't want one of these guys coming up and tickling my feet!

Graeme

Attached Files:

2. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

My oh my, that's Architeuthis, my friend! Caught near Kyoto and dragged towards a bitter tidepool end...

"The Eye" haunted many a Tonmo'er for nights on end, I well remember :shock:

3. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

4. Phil

Oh, beat me to it Ob!

5. OB

Touché :smile:

6. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

On a side note, wasn't there speculation of the eye manipulated by Photoshop or some other program of that sort?

7. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Say, come to think of it, wasn't Steve's distinguished guest Dr Ku rumored to have more information about this animal? Could he perhaps be asked if he'd be willing to further clarify the occasion, and perhaps whether there is a version of the pic that doesn't have the eye doctored in photoshop?

8. OB

In answer to Chrono's post: I personally don't think so, but there are fellow rivet counters amongst us who will claim to have noticed suspect pixelation around the eye. The musculature looks fine to me and there's nothing in the textbooks speaking against reflection in A. dux's retina as a natural photoenhancer for an animal which lives under sparse lighting conditions...

9. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I found Matt's analysis pretty compelling:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/1292/#post-42706

All this means, though, is that someone did something to the photo-- it may not have substantively changed the picture. Perhaps they just thought there was some sort of bad reflection, or maybe they just thought they could enhance the contrast or something.

10. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

That eye is still freakin me out :cyclops:

That old thread was where Steve said "live ammonites" were about to be discovered. 8-)

11. Graeme

Oh, I did originally think it was an archie, but I was told otherwise. I was always under the impression that no one had seen a live archie, even dying. Hoo well.:grin:

Graeme

12. OB

Graeme, leave your rock now! See Phil's avatar, wonder in astonishment...

13. Graeme

rock?? Phils Avatar? issat the video sequence? I thought there was dispute about that?

Graeme

14. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Hello Graeme,

These people who've been telling you otherwise, are they by any chance would-be Archie hunters who just can't get over getting their ***es whupped?

I wasn't aware that there was any disupte about Kubodera and Mori's photographs (it wasn't a true video). There's been some animated discussion about the fact that the squid lost a tentacle in the encounter, and about what the photos may reveal about Archie's general demeanour, i.e. active hunter vs. pasive feeder, but there's no disputing that it was Architeuthis.

I hope that you will bring all of this to the attention of your ill-informed peers, and make them cry.

Cheers,
    Clem

15. Phil

If I remember rightly the Architeuthis caught at Kyoto went on display at the National Science Museum in Tokyo so there is absolutely no doubt as to its identity.

It is interesting to compare the shape of the eye with these two images, the first, in the boat, is allegedly Architeuthis. The one in the water is apparantly not Architeuthis, but is still a large and powerful squid. In case anyone is curious, I'm afraid I don't have the rest of the photo, and I don't know what type of squid it is. :sad:

Attached Files:

16. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I think the thing that bothers me most about all these eyes :cyclops: is that I expect the oval/football shape of the eye to be 90 degrees to what it is in the photo. I guess I am so used to seeing an eye with an eyelid like a whale that it freaks me out when it is different... Thanks for the nightmares Phil..

Now that I think about it, I am thinking that the squid is swimming parallel to the ocean floor (or ocean surface). But if the squid is hanging down or at an angle, then the eyelid would be in the right position. Is this making any sense???

17. mosogama

mosogama Blue Ring Supporter

Yes, it does make sense (to me anyway). You crack me up Cuttlegirl....thanks for the nightmares - LOL! The eyes are a bit creepy.

18. bobwonderbuns

bobwonderbuns Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I guess the question is, would a dead squid have such a pristine eyeball? That's what got me. Any thoughts?

19. bathypol

bathypol Wonderpus Registered

I think it would be creepy if they could wink....yup, that would be creepy...looking over the side of a boat and seeing this huge eye that winks at you....pleasant dreams!:grin:

That is, if they had eyelids...do they have eyelids? Wow, need to get better at my anatomy.

And Graeme, there is a list somewhere, I think the Smithsonian website...I'll have to go check for it..that has all the Archi sightings listed, even from a long time ago and there are several accounts of "live" Archi's being found but then used as bait.:sad:

20. bathypol

bathypol Wonderpus Registered