I always wondered about this photo...

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Is this a photo of a dying Humboldt? I remember it was circulating round the media about 2 or 3 years ago. If this is a Humboldt then :goofysca: I'll have to remember that next time I'm snorkling... wouldn't want one of these guys coming up and tickling my feet!

Graeme

Attachments

• conv_302565.jpg
    conv_302565.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 110
Say, come to think of it, wasn't Steve's distinguished guest Dr Ku rumored to have more information about this animal? Could he perhaps be asked if he'd be willing to further clarify the occasion, and perhaps whether there is a version of the pic that doesn't have the eye doctored in photoshop?

In answer to Chrono's post: I personally don't think so, but there are fellow rivet counters amongst us who will claim to have noticed suspect pixelation around the eye. The musculature looks fine to me and there's nothing in the textbooks speaking against reflection in A. dux's retina as a natural photoenhancer for an animal which lives under sparse lighting conditions...

ob said:
In answer to Chrono's post: I personally don't think so, but there are fellow rivet counters amongst us who will claim to have noticed suspect pixelation around the eye. The musculature looks fine to me and there's nothing in the textbooks speaking against reflection in A. dux's retina as a natural photoenhancer for an animal which lives under sparse lighting conditions...

I found Matt's analysis pretty compelling:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/1292/#post-42706

All this means, though, is that someone did something to the photo-- it may not have substantively changed the picture. Perhaps they just thought there was some sort of bad reflection, or maybe they just thought they could enhance the contrast or something.

Oh, I did originally think it was an archie, but I was told otherwise. I was always under the impression that no one had seen a live archie, even dying. Hoo well.:biggrin2:

Graeme

Hello Graeme,

These people who've been telling you otherwise, are they by any chance would-be Archie hunters who just can't get over getting their ***es whupped?

I wasn't aware that there was any disupte about Kubodera and Mori's photographs (it wasn't a true video). There's been some animated discussion about the fact that the squid lost a tentacle in the encounter, and about what the photos may reveal about Archie's general demeanour, i.e. active hunter vs. pasive feeder, but there's no disputing that it was Architeuthis.

I hope that you will bring all of this to the attention of your ill-informed peers, and make them cry.

Cheers,
Clem

If I remember rightly the Architeuthis caught at Kyoto went on display at the National Science Museum in Tokyo so there is absolutely no doubt as to its identity.

It is interesting to compare the shape of the eye with these two images, the first, in the boat, is allegedly Architeuthis. The one in the water is apparantly not Architeuthis, but is still a large and powerful squid. In case anyone is curious, I'm afraid I don't have the rest of the photo, and I don't know what type of squid it is. :sad:

Attachments

• conv_289049.jpg
    conv_289049.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 73
  • conv_289050.jpg
    conv_289050.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 68
  • conv_289051.jpg
    conv_289051.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 68

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back