Hmmmm????

With those dessication cracks it looks like this stuff formed recently, that is long after the limestone formed, and probably after the quarry operation. :hmm:

The quarry was worked about eight years ago, something like this can form in 8 years? Now I can't wait to go back and look at the encrusted limestone. Rain for the next two days though.:yuck: I've been browsing all evening
to see if I can find anything similiar, no luck though.

Here are a few pics. of where I found these...

Attachments

• conv_298749.jpg
    conv_298749.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 93
  • conv_298750.jpg
    conv_298750.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 75
  • conv_298751.jpg
    conv_298751.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 83
Hmm, mud balls, algal balls or algal/mud balls, botryoidal habits...searched everything I know to search and I just dunno. I've found shell bits in some, a tiny fossil or two in others, one that looks like it formed around a small bit of rock and one that looks like it formed around a decently sized brachiopod, so hmm...there's enough of it to be interesting, frustrating not to be able to find anything definitive.:hmm:

I think that means to use light reflection/absorbtion to determine the chemical properties (I don't think the sniff test from high school chem would be of much use)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back