hello all!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by The Moog, May 14, 2003.

1. The Moog

The Moog O. bimaculoides Registered

Have I pressed the right button?
    soon find out.
    I'm here because I grew up with a fossil lover, dragged round obscure rocks as a kid watching big brother scrape bits of shale. I was always more interested in the rockpools...anyway, brother had a huge chest of drawers full of fossils at home and he used to tell me about them. So I liked learning about ammonites and belemnites, recently, I have started fossil hunting again with Phil (big brother the listmaster!), have collected stuff and have found a bigger ammonite than Phil ever did! (And it didn't come from some bloke down the pub) I'll photograph it and post it, I may also post a photo of a young phil fossil hunting......
    He has also got me liking large squids, tho' I still prefer kittens.
    Look forward to learning lots!

2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Ha! Welcome! Our fossil content on TONMO.com is growing thanks to your brother and the members in the Fossils & History forum. I'm glad you'll be joining us there!

3. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Re: hello all!

So the little sister finally found this! I shall be hounded to the Gates of Hades from now on!

Don't you dare! I think you should post a photo of that huge ammonite you found though; it was better than any I have ever found. Beginners luck, eh?

I, of course, prefer to obtain large ammonites by meeting strange people in the pub and talking them out of their garage contents. I applaud your more traditional approach.

moan....moan....sulk.....sulk....

4. The Moog

don't do yourself down phil, you taught me the tradiational approach! Go and get a trowel and scrape.......
    Forgot to say that I may x-ray it too, it is within my capabilities...depends, probably too thick....may try one of Phil's tiny little ammonites!!! :roll:

5. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Hello Moog,

Welcome to TONMO. Allow me to congratulate you on your role in advancing electronic keyboard design.

As Phil will attest, I'm on the hunt for a bio-imaged ammonite. Hope the X-ray is succesful. At least, you won't have to worry about the subject experiencing an attack of claustrophobia within a CT drum.

I've heard rumors that someone around here is in posession of CT-scans of an Architeuthis. Keep your eyes peeled.

And, watch out for those badgers.

Yours truly,

Clem

6. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Please do!! :lol:

7. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Heh heh.... digging up the dirt (pardon the pun) on Phil! :heee:

Welcome to TONMO, where the past, present, and future is cephalopods...

Sushi and Sake,

John

8. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Hello! It is always nice to have a sibling to a member on board...that way you can tell us AAALLLLL about him! :oops: I am only lucky enought to own one gastrolith, though the Tucson gem/mineral show always has a ton of cool fossils...but I would have to dismantle a tank to make room for them!
    Greg

9. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

you mean that isn't the traditional way? maybe this is just me, but it sounds like the smarter path....you stay clean and less work.....

:cthulhu: :heart: :beer:

10. Phil

I'm not sure I like the way this is heading......it can only end in tears.

11. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Oh, come on, it's all fun and games. Until someone loses an eye.

And then it's just fun. :cyclops:

12. The Moog

Hello
    The Moog has hit the USA, Phil is probably breathing a sigh of relief, though I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM HIM!!!
    Anyway, is there anything particulary squidly I should look out for/not eat/visit in the aquarium (Chicago)?
    :goofysca:

13. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Moog!

Rusty (aka rrtanton) is an Illinois resident. He might be able to offer some pointers.

I don't remember much about the aquarium's exhibits, but I recall that the building was quite nice. Good Federal architecture.

Yours truly,

Clem

14. Octomatt

Octomatt O. bimaculoides Registered

The Shed (sp?) Aquarium is Chicago's greatest site in my book! I haven't been in years, but when I was last there, they had a live GPO on display, as well as plaster reproductions of GPO and an Architeuthis!

I'm coming into this thread a bit late, so you may have already been and gone through Chicago...did you make it to the Shed?

Matt

15. Phil

Sister Moog,

I think you should go to the aquarium with that digital camera of yours and report back to us! You've got to get a few photos of the ceph bits, after all, most of us will never get the chance to go there.

(BTW, I know you are a bit new to this so GPO stands for Giant Pacific Octopus in case you were wondering).

16. The Moog

Am here in Chicago till August, so have not been to Shedd Aq yet, tho
    have been driven up to it and have seen dino skelly outside the Field museum , very much looking forward to seing it all, shame I have to teach class really!!! So much to do, still, I can be comforted by the knowledge that Phil is missing his little sis! (not). :wink: