He eat his arms.........

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by plecos, Jan 3, 2010.

1. plecos

plecos Larval Mass Registered

My Octopus have a Problem...Front of his arm was broken.....I saw it was eaten by himsalf....It look like have some damage.......What happen of my Octopus???

2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Did you put him in a 20 gallon tank? You had other members here specifically tell you that's not a good idea.

Autophagy is not necessarily the result of a small tank, but it sounds like you should turn your octopus over to your local fish store as soon as possible. That's the best thing you can do given the overall situation.

3. plecos

plecos Larval Mass Registered

THX Q...
    Thats mean my tank is too small for him, so he eat his arms...??....
    Really......??

4. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

The tank is too small. Not sure if that's the reason he ate his arms; there could be any number of problems in addition to the tank size. In any case, you should bring your octopus to someone who can give him/her proper care.

5. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

These were from another thread asking the same question. Although I think it is clear that you did not heed the warning about your small tank.

6. Joe-Ceph

Joe-Ceph Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

I haven't read your other threads, and I don't know about the tank size, or other issues you may have, but here's my experience for what it's worth:

My tank is 60 gallon cold water tank that had previously successfully housed a female bimac for over a year, until she died naturally after tending for her eggs, so I know that my tank is a good setup for an octopus.
    A few months ago I caught a second adult octopus bimaculoides and put it in my (now vacant) tank. It was whole when I put it in, but within a few days I noticed that two or three of its arms were too short; up to 40% of the arm was missing in some cases. The octo showed other bad signs, like hiding most of the time, rejecting food (live muscles that I opened), and inking if startled. Since it was full grown when I caught it I thought maybe it was at the end of it's natural life. It got a little worse over the next week (maybe) and then started to get better. It took a few months, but the octopus seems much more comfortable in the tank now, and all of the damaged arms have regrown. It has been eating very well (mostly thawed pieces of scallop) coming out a lot, interacting with me, and inking less. I attributed the the arm eating to the stress of being caught and adjusting to a new home. I think there must be at least one other factor, because the last octopus I caught and brought home adjusted almost immediately, without the self-mutilation. I don't know the sex of the one I have now (the first one was female) so maybe it's a male thing. The female was only about half grown when I caught her, so that could also be a factor, or maybe it's all about individual personality.

If your tank is not a suitable place for an octopus(tank size, water conditions, temp, hiding spots, whatever) then the "stress of transition" would be replaced by the stress of the bad environment, and things might not improve.

When did you get the octopus?
    Is the problem getting better, worse, or staying the same?