Hate mail for like-minded conservationists

I know of someone who use to combine alcomahol and brussel sprouts by dunking them in Cherry :beer: can't say I'd personally recommend it but each to there own.

Brussel sprouts soaked in Sherry???? Yikes. that does not sound all of too good to me, and I love the little cabbages!

It's been a while since we've posted here, but I received a charming fax (redirected to me) today. This is the tip of the iceberg!

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is anyone to respond to this. There are other things planned that would be jeopardised (bigger picture stuff).

Hate mail is something I'm used to......

As an aside, all of snapper, scallop and orange roughy are in major trouble here (effective collapse on a colossal scale). Enormous numbers of seabirds and marine mammals are also killed in nets. 'Fishing' and 'conservation' in the Antarctic is an oxymoron.

Discuss to your hearts content online, but leave it there for the time being. 'Mr O'Shea', aka 'squid man' is scheming.

download.php

download.php

Well, its bound to happen that people on the dark side object... its their living that it seems everyone else is targetting... its the same with fishermen in Scotland.. The stocks are dropping and they are losing jobs and all the environmentalists are pointing their fingers at them.. so its a catch 22 situation for many and these cornered animals are starting to bite!

I blame the people who are shouting and jumping up and down about the fish but have really just read the info on a pamphlet.. these so called 'rights' people have a lot to answer to... yes the stocks are being hammered but there are ways of approaching situations and many of these people just open their mouths and let their bellies rumble so i imagine that this guy Owen has had a barrage of crappy emails, phonecalls and other stuff himself and has to be seen to be proactively dealing with it... another bad situation.

The deep sea fishing has to stop.. .i hope the 'bigger picture' includes info on this :smile:

There are a great many things that need to be addressed, urgently, I might ad, however Steve, I trust your judgement and insight into these affairs. You speak with the voice of a giant, and with the force of our collective will. Your temperance and steely determination will, undoubtly shine through, and give those that do not see that which drives your action, a clear understanding of the work you have done, are doing, and will do in these matters. I salute you!

Most assuredly your friend;

Felix.

Give 'em HELL!!!

Steve,

"...The adventure of working in harmony with nature and all its forces."

I'm willing to bet that Mr. Symmans keeps a stuffed parrot on his shoulder.

Arrr.

Clem

I was interested that the orange roughy fishery has "recovered (or words to that effect) in the last decade". I'm a little disappointed, that these people didn't share or publish their project on fertility drugs for Orange Roughy! It's the only way the stock would recover in such a short time!

Not to worry Steve I'm with you, maybe we could send the writer of this off to "help" with Messie feeding trials :twisted:

J

I pity him; I really do. In a decade or so he will regret those words, and will have to live with the repercussions of his prostitution of the truth.

I only lose a little sleep in the short term.
Cheers
O

When are the roughies sexually mature? 30 - 35 years?..... so what age are the majority of the fish being caught?

When are the roughies sexually mature? 30 - 35 years?..... so what age are the majority of the fish being caught?

Yep around that age, I have seen a catch landed here in Dunedin and had a two day job to measure, sex and pull the otoliths from them. The majority seemed to be mature BUT and it's a big but the nets are indiscriminate and although juvenile roughies can be thrown back (no swim bladder) they are often crushed to death by the shear weight of the catch (of roughies, coral, bryozoans etc etc) it just makes me :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

It's not even that nice a fish to eat...... very bland, I know this from the days when I was a wee person & got it plonked in front of me. Since I have learned about it and had a wee rant it is no longer served in our house!!!

J

All you Steinbeck fans out there ever heard of Cannery Row? Its in Monterey, California, and is now the site of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. They will tell you that the sardine fishing of the early 20th century made a HUGE dent in the population of fish in Monterey Bay. The recovery has yet to really happen.

Avast ye! Overfishing be a harsh mistress....

John

perke said:
I know of someone who use to combine alcomahol and brussel sprouts by dunking them in Cherry :beer: can't say I'd personally recommend it but each to there own.

Back when I was in college and the Noo Yawk drinking age was 18, one of the classiest -- and most delicious -- party treats was canned pineapple chunks marinated in anisette. The only problem was that it was easy to start eating them like candy and lose track of how much alcomahol you were actually consuming.... I can only imagine how many party guests lost their lunch (or their virginity) after an hour or two of nibbling on Pineapple Anisette Delight.

For Steve-O': Seriously, I am all for your conservation efforts, but I can't help wondering.... if you can't eat farmed fish because of the PCBs, you can't eat orange roughy, sardines, or lobster because of overfishing, you can't eat tuna, swordfish, or halibut for both of the above reasons, you can't eat bivalves because of domoic acid and/or red tides, you can't eat shrimp because of cholesterol, etc., etc., etc., what seafood (if any) is left for us to eat? And all this is going on while doctors are telling us to have at least one serving of fish per week because the Omega-3 is good for our hearts.

Could somebody please post a list of fish and seafood that are OK to eat? At this point it will be a lot easier than listing what we're not supposed to have.

Very perplexed,
Tani

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back