Grover

Grover's barely hanging on this morning. I saw an arm sticking out of a hole... serpent star is playing with it. Thought she was dead so I used the grabbers to get her and she yanked back weakly. I removed the rock in front of her and she is laying on her side but she pulled all of her arms in when I moved the rock... most likely will be dead when I get home from work. Bummer. Don't like starting my days like this.

Yes, but I think it is entirely possible and not that far out of grasp Nancy.

I should have split them into more containers and tried more methods. I'll be pondering upon the subject so I'm not so ill prepared next time. Oh yes, there will be a next time!

sorry, but a valiant effort, and thanks for reporting the details.

cuttlegirl;125261 said:
You had to try, even though you were sure you would fail - it's how we learn...

Yeah I wish I had gone with your suggestion from the get-go. While most of them died off during the bubbling, the last two lived considerably longer after I removed most of the water and floated the container.

I think the kitchen counter was one problem. Not insulated, temperature shift throughout the day was probably one of the many issues.
Time... too many hours away not providing food and clean water.

Food... what kind is going to be best? I've got live phyto, figured that was about as small as it could get, then I've got live rotifers, little bit bigger and eats the phyto. The jug was also stocked heavily with live copepods, about the size of the octo larvae's eyes. Thought all that would be a pretty good variety so if not one, then maybe another would suffice. I don't think they starved. I think the water quality was just trashed from adding so much. Of course I changed the water about every couple of hours while I was home.

I really think setting up the hex would solve a lot of the issues. The only thing is with 60 gallons of water, how do I make sure the babies are getting the food. Ocean water is saturated with lifeforms right? Can't maintain that AND water quality at the same time. (But this is where my new RO/DI system and tons o' salt buckets comes in I guess)

AM,
I kind of hope Steve will chime in here as he VERY briefly mentioned that water quality may not be all that important (as least for hatchling squid).

Sorry to hear about the outcome AM.

Steve told me once that water quality isn't so important for the wee ones, but I wonder about the "phyto" I assume you mean phytoplankton? This is micro algae.....a plant and so may have been lacking in nutrients or at least the octopus digestive system may not be able to break down the cell walls to get at it, octopus metabolism is protein based and I suspect they needed much more protein. Maybe newly hatched pods? And remember most octopus (even newly hatched) can deal with prey bigger than themselves!

J

Thanks Jean. Yeah I was kinda skeptical about the phytoplankton, really wanted to find some live zooplankton, but she said it is guaranteed to be motile and if they wouldn't eat that then to add the rotifers and the rotifers could eat the phyto while the octos would be eating the rotifers... and the tiny pods.

Sorry to hear the outcome but thanks so much for bringing us all along for the ride! I know there will be a next time for you- there is a certain thrill to have those grenades flying at you...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back