found another octo distributer

Mermaid

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
hey, does anyone know where i can get an octopus from(apart from the blue-ring octopus)? I live in Sydney city, Australia... i have asked all the major aquariums including the two i work at and no-one can get them in...plaese help me. I keep getting promised that il get an octopus and nothing happens...

Feelers

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Can you catch it yourself? Thats what I'm probably gonna do, hopefully it wont be too hard!!
Possibly go and ask some fishermen about it- say youll give them $10 for an octo. I dunno about Aus but here crayfishing always ends up with an octo in one of the pots. All they'd be doing is not throwing it back - and making a quick $10.

Or perhaps ask the local aquarium or something, they'll probably have some suggestions.
I think there is a type of octo specific to the sydney area - dont quote me on it though :D

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Feelers said:
I dunno about Aus but here crayfishing always ends up with an octo in one of the pots. All they'd be doing is not throwing it back - and making a quick $10.
I wouldn't get one from a fisherman here Feelers! What they almost always get in their pots is Pinnoctopus cordiformis waaaaaaaaay too big for a home aquarium!

J

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Feelers said:
I have heard of one in a 100G in America somewhere. The one in the Napier aquarium was in a tank smaller than mine I think.
:shock: Not good! Our octopus tank is 3600L (~951G) and we worry that it's not big enough! How big is your tank again???

J

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Feelers said:
80G, its funny I have converted to non-SI units. :D

Im not really sure what the napier aquarium was, looked to me about 180L maybe.

Still too small for anything but a baby P. cordiformis. Hope they release often!

J

Feelers

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
It wasnt full size, but it was pretty big - maybe 2/3 hannibals size. I went there a while ago, so I'm not really too sure on the tank size, but it was just a bare tank - wall mounted, and the octo just stuck to the wall.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Feelers said:
It wasnt full size, but it was pretty big - maybe 2/3 hannibals size. I went there a while ago, so I'm not really too sure on the tank size, but it was just a bare tank - wall mounted, and the octo just stuck to the wall.

UGH!...............Poor octi, mind you Hannibal sticks to the glass from time to time just for a snooze :sleeping: and he has a well aquascaped tank!

J

Members online

No members online now.