• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Extinction: Why some and not others?

neurobadger

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Since I'm having a really hard time finding much information on this, what's the current idea on why ammonoids and belemnoids died while nautiloids and coleoids lived past the K-T boundary?

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
My understanding is it has to do with 2 main things. 1, Reproduction strategy, Nautilus and some coleoids lay large eggs, ammonoids had small planktonic eggs and the hatchlings were plancktonic. 2, feeding habits, Nautilus is a scavenger, ammonoids ate planckton.

These are generalized explanations, there are just as many theories on the extinction of ammonoids and belemnoids as there are for the extinction of non avian dinosaurs.

I'll look for some references that may help.

hallucigenia

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
It's also worth noting that the marine part of the K-T extinction is pretty diachronous, and doesn't line up particularly well with anoxic episodes in any of the shallow seas.

Then again, Whiteside and Ward (2011 in Geology) claim to correlate the extinctions of the endoceratids and actinoceratids with intervals of chaotic carbon cycling, so there might be hope for the ocean-chemistry idea...

Members online

No members online now.