[Octopus]: El Diablo - O. vulgaris

dwhatley;155016 said:
Now you know why I clearly stated to have the camera ready in advance :wink: You should have videoed Sam taking out the crab, it may have been almost as entertaining!

We had the camera ready but the stupid crab ran to the side and we had to move it. I plan on getting another in a few days, heck for 50 cents, can't beat it. I am thinking 2 a week, what do you think?
I should have videoed her grabbing it out, she is a real trooper. It didn't touch the claw, just ate the body out. After the Asian market I wanted to take a shower, how do those people stand the smell? It absolutely reeks in the seafood section. I swear I could taste the odor. :yuck::yuck::yuck:

El Diablo may not eat for a day or two now so don't be alarmed if there is no appetite.

Thanks for the tip, won't feed tomorrow.

Our very limited, chain markets (H-Mart) here are pretty well maintained and I love trying some of the fresh fruit when I find something I don't recognize (I know how to identify and avoid durian) and can find someone to describe the taste. The seafood section is a little less so but in general, they have taken to American (or perhaps legal) maintenance. They are not as well stocked as the ones in other states and not a lot of live food that is useful for the octos (mostly fish). The fresh shrimp has sulfides (I have been afraid to buy them but don't know if that is also true of our local grocery and just not posted) and the crabs are usually frozen (and therefore steamed). Every once in a while they will have live crawdads or blue crab but they are too large for the octopuses. I don't go often so I may miss some of the live offerings.

They have these rice cake things there that taste nothing like any premade rice cake you have had. They are made in the store (about the size of a small pizza) and cost $3 for a 10" stack. I always buy 3 of them and usually eat one the day I bring them home. They also have some very interesting "ice cream" bars, may I have not dared to try because they are vegatable flavored (and not inexpensive).

Vegetable flavored ice cream :yuck: I have seen the rice cake vendor in the front of the store, I will try them. This one has tanks of live eels lots of different kinds of fish and abalone. The live crabs are not in a tank. Once in a while they will have something different but I don't go often. The Super H Mart here is the only one I have ever seen or heard of. I didn't know it was a chain. I swear I can still smell that smell. I have been to other fish markets and none come close smell-wise.
Dieblo looks content, in his usual spot outside his den. I imagine he is happy with a nice full belly :smile:
Got to get some rest, big day tomorrow. Painting my daughters play house. (cute as a button, will send you a photo) We are renovating it, I don't want an ugly shack in my newly landscaped yard. My husband just gave her electricity. She might seem too old but she has ignored it for a year or two. When you see it you'll understand why now she has renewed interest. She has really worked hard on it too. She is planning have a sleep-out when we are done.

I always wanted my own fort. We built my son one but he didn't use it alot before we moved and it was a real chore to remove it when we sold the house.

I made a new toy for Diablo, here are a few photos.

DSCN0444.jpg

DSCN0443.jpg

DSCN0442.jpg

DSCN0440.jpg

I keep wondering if octopuses (or at least some of them) are hoarders liked the famed habbits of the dragon. Maybe midden piles are not just waste.

We have been making pregress by leaps and bounds. Tonight my nephew stopped by and Diablo performed by playing with his ping-pong ball. I went ot the science surplus store and picked up a specimin bottle. We tried a crab in a bottle. Diablo was persistant, tried for about a half hour with no luck. When he finally let go I unscrewed it almost all the way and he grabbed me and the bottle when I put it back in and almost immediately the top came off and he got his reward. I filmed him wrestling with it but seemed senceless to post. Samantha got her first touch, she was thrilled. He is so curious about everything that enters his tank. He is still pulling hard. He continues to play with the magfloat, we hear it hit the floor occasionally and one of us quickly returns it to it's place or the kittens play with it.

I think it is octopus :tentacle:

He has been comming out most days in the late afternoon/early evening. I tap on the glass and he comes over to me. My kids are amazed. I know he is just comming over to investigate being the curious creature he is, they think he likes me :lol:

Watching how quickly El Diablo determined that he could get the crab brought up something I have been thinking about. Some octos seem very intelligent, active and interactive where others don't expose much mental ability, are sedentary and avoid humans (regardless of which species of the ones we commonl keep). The question I ponder is, "does this have to do with inbreeding or some physical aspect of their initial environment?". O.briareus is benthic from birth and does not travel far so chances are high that they inbreed frequently. On the other hand, perhaps first food or nutrition could play a part in extremes we see. I do know that finding an octopus like El Diablo (and Sisturus, one of my mercatoris) is less common than finding the less social octopuses.

He seems to be accepting petting nicely. You might also try behind the eyes. I know some of mine preferred that to on the front (others preferred where you are petting now and I have no suggestion as to why). As they age, behind the eye and mantle seem to be preferred but he obviously has not major objection.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back