[Octopus]: El Diablo - O. vulgaris

We know that GPOs certainly fancy parts of divers' attire, such as gloves, the flashier the better. They make off with them, and supposedly keep them in their dens. We learned this from some very early Tonmo posts, where divers reported their experiences with GPOs

The toys make a good photo!

Nancy

The toys do add a little something, he is so cute the way he plays wth them.

I picked up a mussel for Diablo on a whim. I soaked it for about 20 minutes in tank water then gave it to him. I wasn't sure if I should have opened it oops!
I thought I'd be fishing it out of the tank. I looked in the tank with a flashlight and saw the empty shells, one whole and the other in pieces. His den is just chuck full of shells. It'd also have several toothbrushes if I didn't remove them regularly.

GPO stole my little spare divelight once - glad I used the spare, instead of my big fancy ($$$) divelight). He just snapped the retention cord like it was nothing.

Last night I lost Diablo, I am heartbroken :sad:
I changed 20 gallons yesterday afternoon. He seemed fine. He was active, I petted him, he grabbed my hands and arms, he was very gentle. Samantha watched, (she had always been scared of him) she decided she wanted to pet him. She was able to pet him, little did we know it would be the last time.
Around 9 pm I noticed he was on the glass, his arms were corkscrewed, he was a light grey color. I began to worry. I did some tests, everything seemed perfect. I as we all do when something is off, began to go over a check list in my head.
At 10:23 exactly, (I checked my security camera) he began swimming from the bottom to the surface. He inked very lightly. He did this over and over, around 5-6 times the last 3 inkings were extremely heavy. The tank looked like coffee. The first thing I did was remove the bta. I threw it in my 50. I only had 10 gallons of water left so I changed 10 more gallons. I replaced the charcoal and added an extra large bag. My skimmer stopped so I cleaned that. At just past 11, he slid to the bottom.
I need to finish this later...:sad::sad::sad:

cuttlegirl;166529 said:
So sorry, I have loved reading this thread and my kids love all the photos. He will be missed.

Appreciate that, makes me feel good to know you enjoyed him too.

Here are the photos.
Earlier yesterday
DSCN1602.jpg

post inkings
DSCN1604.jpg

Diablo post inkings
DSCN1605.jpg

DSCN1606.jpg

DSCN1607.jpg

DSCN1611.jpg

post morteum
DSCN1617.jpg

DSCN1619.jpg

The tank 5 minutes ago, minus a rbta.
DSCN1623.jpg

Thought I'd add, Diablo is still on my kitchen countertop, I know what you are all thinking...:yuck: He is sealed in a gallon ziplock and still looks pretty good.
His chromatophores are still working, is this typical or unusual? His colors are flashing on his mantle and arms. He has been gone for 20 hours. I planed to bury him but could not bring myself to until this stops. I will definately throw him in the freezer tonight and finish up tomorrow.

:~(> Major bummer. Something seems very odd with his eyes before death. Any ideas? I know my sharks' eyes respond very poorly to any changes in iodine...?

El Diablo is buried in my vegetable garden. He will help produce a good crop next year. I miss him so much. :sad:

Jabba, I did notice the odd look of his eyes. I cannot test for iodine. :-/

Thank you everyone for your kind words, it makes me feel better.

Kpage, your message made my day :lol: and I really needed a good laugh. You are very sweet.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back