Diving Monterey Bay on Sunday

Discussion in 'TONMOCON' started by OceanicAirXS, Jul 29, 2009.

1. OceanicAirXS

OceanicAirXS Larval Mass Registered

Hi All,

I will be scuba diving in Monterey Bay (well, off shore from Carmel) and I wondered, since you held TONOMOCON III in Monterey if there were any Ceph species I should keep an eye out for. Having interacted with an octopus while diving before, I can tell you that it beats watching or playing with them in a tank--unless of course they decide that you are food or something like that diver who was attacked in the YouTube video!

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Have a great time! The only times I've seen an octo in California was a twilight dive.

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

If you go north a bit :wink: Seattle has GPO's that are supposed to be relatively easy to find (if you know the right locals). Keeping warm, however, requires a dry suit.

4. mucktopus

mucktopus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

Monterey has GPO also, but you'd be more likely to come across Octopus rubescens. Happy diving!

5. Jamie

Jamie Pygmy Octopus Registered

I just got back from a dive trip in the Channel Islands, and saw at least five O. bimaculoides, so I imagine you'll encounter those.

6. Cryp_Sis

Cryp_Sis O. bimaculoides Supporter

Bimacs don't get this far north (unfortunately!). I have friends who claim they can't move for rubescens during night dives in the bay (but that might fall into the same category as "it was THIS big" for anglers). Good luck, and if you get any pictures maybe you could post them?
    Lene.