diurnal octopus

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by DanK, Feb 27, 2011.

1. DanK

DanK Larval Mass Registered

Does anyone know a place by chicago that sells diurnal octopus? If not, how do I go about finding one and how do I guarantee that it really will be diurnal?

2. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

3. kpage

kpage Wonderpus Supporter

Yes, your best bet is online. I've been looking for cephs in Chicago for a while and haven't had any luck. Diurnal octos include Aculeatus (live aquaria) and hummelincki (atlantic, so if you find a place to order one make sure you ask where it's coming from). Live Aquaria octos are great, but often old. Bimacs are also diurnal (from california) and I think we have someone here that can get you one, but they require a chiller. Not sure if that's a problem for you.

hope it helps! If you find a store around Chicago let me know :wink:

4. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

Hummelinckis are technically Caribbean. You don't need a chiller in Chicago, just put the tank on your back porch lol.

5. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Welcome Dan!

I got my O. hummelincki from Saltwaterfish.com. The problem with these is if you get a female like I did, they brood within weeks. I have to say it was worth it. I fell in love with immediately. She was out all day and loved to swim. I have only seen octopuses for sale locally a couple times. Once at Living Sea Aquarium and once at Aquarium Adventure on Roselle.
    It would be great to find a local supplier but not holding my breath. :neutral: