• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cylindrical Acrylic Aquarium

only kelp has roots like kelp hold fasts, but it can be cultivated, from what I understand, but what a pain.

I think that octopus are a little like people in that they are relatively smart, and adaptable, so if cultivating kelp is too much trouble, they will use whatever you provide. Anything that makes it easy for a tiny octopus to hide from predators, but still find food, would be fine (I haven't raised baby bimacs, so I'm speculating - for what it's worth). Females lay eggs in aluminum soda cans, orange road cones, or whatever has the correct attributes, so just try to provide something with the right attributes for a baby bimac. Assuming that the only potential predators you'll have in the tank will be the other baby octopus, you need to provide lots of hiding places. Kelp roots are made of a dense dangle of semi-rigid strands ranging from 1/8" diameter to about 3/8". There is a little space in between most of the strands, so from a baby bimac's point of view it's like a dense forest of tree trunks. A gallon of bio-balls (held tightly in a mesh bag?) would probably be a nice substitute.. As long as the babies can each find their own separate space, far enough from the others, and there's no shortage of food, you should be able to maximize survival (again, this is my WAG, not a bunch of facts). kelp hold fasts are probably populated by lots of other tiny animals, that 1/4" long bimacs could eat, so it might be good to get such structures into your tank early, and try to encourage the growth of food fauna (that won't eat new-born bimacs).

I would LOVE to go out and collect a bunch of substrate, rocks, and a variety of flora and fauna to stock my tank so that I could better replicate the exact environment that these animals come from, but sadly that's too far of a driver from Dallas, TX. I might try to find someone to collect for me and ship them. I have a co-worker that used to work at the Catalina aquarium and he used to collect for them.

So I have the 40 gallon up and running with about an inch thick live sand/mud bed, three med/lg live rocks, five fack sargassum plants, and a medium sized blue crab. The water felt fairly cold so I put a theometer in it and it read 72F. That is with no lights and only a HOB filter ment for a 100 gallon tank running. We'll see if it stays at 72F or drops.

I don't know what's killing me more, the suspence of not knowing what size these animals will be, what species they are, or when they are going to arrive. I'm bouncing off the walls here. I even tried to google the company and the octopus they claim to carry to see if I could find some pictures of them but still nothing. I'm almost certain that these animals will be bimacs, but I'd just like to know the exact species and size. What are the chances that they could be another species other than a bimac if they were collected from mid/southern California? What other species are found in that region?

I just found a video that was posted on May 10th by one of their staff that showed some kind of zebra or mimic octopus. It was a bit blurry but I was able to make out that it was one of those delicate ornimental ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back