• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cylindrical Acrylic Aquarium

Thanks for the links. I've heard of the rubescens schooling at early ages too, and I can tell you first hand that they do not get along well in small groupd as adults.

skywindsurfer;178785 said:
Do Bimacs (either species) get along together like Rubescens?

skywindsurfer;178873 said:
Thanks for the links. I've heard of the rubescens schooling at early ages too, and I can tell you first hand that they do not get along well in small groupd as adults.

I am confused.

The aquarium I work for was able to get some rubescens a while back and asked me if they could be kept in small groups. I told them that I read they group when young but not as adults. They got five and put them in a tank together, and well,..lets just say it wasn't pleasant.

skywindsurfer;178875 said:
The aquarium I work for was able to get some rubescens a while back and asked me if they could be kept in small groups. I told them that I read they group when young but not as adults. They got five and put them in a tank together, and well,..lets just say it wasn't pleasant.

What confuses me is then why you were asked "Do Bimacs (either species) get along together like Rubescens?" two days ago in this thread. Did you mean 'Kill and eat each other like Rubescens'? :smile:

Lol no. I asked because I'm trying figure out how to beed them and keep the offspring. If I need to separate each juvenile or if I could cluster them until they get larger.

So I now have a culture of about 100 +/- mysis shrimp in my 10 gallon tank with three different species of macro algae and some other little critters that would make for a decent meal. I just hope I can get their population to explode. I'm probably going to get the octopus sometime next week. I asked for either 2male/3female, or vice versa of O. Bimaculatus. I told them how to sex them and how to differenciate between the two bimac species. I just hope that they are willing to go the extra mile to get exactly what I want and I hope that my co-worker that's ordering them for me forwards the information. Thinking back, I should've asked for a male and female of each species lol. I'm so excited to finally have some octopus again. Like my wife, I too miss my O. Hummelincki. She was something else, and by far my favorite octopus that I've kept(including E. Dofleini).

As for the cylindrical tank, I spoke with the guy Friday, and he said that he was going to try and get everything ready this weekend so he can start working on it Monday. I'll keep you posted on any progress.

Thales;178884 said:

Thanks for that article Thales, it was fun to read and very inspiring. Do you know if this person is still(or ever was) a member of TONMO. I wish I could travel to Southern CA and collect a large amount of prey items to stock my tank with. There is something mysteriously alluring about temperate environments that just captures me. I would love to recreate an exact environment with flora and fauna from the CA coast line. I wonder if I could get someone to collect and ship me some things. Hmm...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back