• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Cuttle vs crab video

Fieroguy19

Larval Mass
Registered
Raised this cuttle from an egg since March. Recently been feeding live ghost shrimp but was able to find a SW crab from a local hobbiest that was about the right size so I thought it would be a nice treat for the cuttle.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
:shock: SWEET!

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
IME, S. bandensis are pretty good at turning the business parts of crabs around, away from their arms. It happens very fast even if they can't don't snag the crab from behind. I may also be evidence of venom because the crabs stop struggling very very quickly. They are so efficient at not getting clawed that I have stopped removing the claws from shore crabs when I feed them.

Very cool vid.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Saying that it is a cephalotoxin reaction is an assumption. We don't know if its a cephalotoxin reaction - the science simply hasn't been done. In a hobby that is covered in assumptions as fact, I like to be careful and clear when I can.

Members online

No members online now.