cuttle fish dead at pet store? | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

cuttle fish dead at pet store?

salamanderguy

Hatchling
Registered
just wondering if anybody has the same problem as me where whenever the pet store orders cuttle fish for me they arrive dead in the bag. so far 2 out of 6 have arrived alive.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Dead is not lucky. :grin:

Adult cuttles have always had really poor shipping success. 50-100% doa the the importing facility is not uncommon. It becomes hard for me to justify keeping a wild caught animal given the number that die in the process of getting me that one or two. And you still have the issues of getting adult cuttlefish in the first place - their lives may be mostly over already. Even worse, most LFS and wholesalers have a poor understanding of what the animals need regarding packing or husbandry.

Eggs, or captive raised are a much better way to go IMO.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Thales is spot on here.

Buy a branch of eggs.

Importing subadult cuttles is worthless, even when they do arrive alive, they last about a month or so.

Even better, support another Tonmo member who is breeding them...let's all scratch each other's backs!

Members online

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards