• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttle fish dead at pet store?

just wondering if anybody has the same problem as me where whenever the pet store orders cuttle fish for me they arrive dead in the bag. so far 2 out of 6 have arrived alive.

Dead is not lucky. :biggrin2:

Adult cuttles have always had really poor shipping success. 50-100% doa the the importing facility is not uncommon. It becomes hard for me to justify keeping a wild caught animal given the number that die in the process of getting me that one or two. And you still have the issues of getting adult cuttlefish in the first place - their lives may be mostly over already. Even worse, most LFS and wholesalers have a poor understanding of what the animals need regarding packing or husbandry.

Eggs, or captive raised are a much better way to go IMO.

Thales is spot on here.

Buy a branch of eggs.

Importing subadult cuttles is worthless, even when they do arrive alive, they last about a month or so.

Even better, support another Tonmo member who is breeding them...let's all scratch each other's backs!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back