cuttle eggs

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by octoqueen, May 17, 2011.

1. octoqueen

octoqueen Blue Ring Registered

Hi everyone! Just got some cuttle eggs in and I have a question. They are looking a little "deflated." I was afraid that there might not be enough O2 getting to them because they are in a little Critter Keeper and not a breeder net. Any suggestions?
    Octoqueen

2. Kerrick

Kerrick GPO Registered

Hey! The critter keeper... Is it in the tank or open to tank water and flow? I doubt its an O2 problem if its submerged in the tank and there are atleast some slits for water movement.

Did the eggs come to you inflated and then subsequently deflate? If so this is probably not a good sign. If they came this way they will probably still inflate. Where'd you get them?

Sorry, I know I asked more questions then answered but we will probably need more info to help. Good luck and try to check out some of the journals to see other peoples experiences with eggs.

3. octoqueen

Well I am not sure what you mean by "in the tank" but hopefully I successfully attached some pictures to clear up some things.
    They came pretty well inflated, but have since shrunk. I got them from Paradise Pet Shop. I have never done business with them. The eggs looked great when they got here. You could even see the little babies inside. I don't know what I did.
    Thanks for the reply though.
    octoqueen

Attached Files:

4. Kerrick

Kerrick GPO Registered

I cant see them perfectly but most of those eggs look viable. You'll just have to watch and wait. What salinity (gravity) do you have your tank at? Do you know what the gravity the eggs were laid in is?

5. octoqueen

I keep it at 35ppt. I don't know at what salinity they were laid at. Oh, that's not what they look like now. That's what they looked like when I got them. Now they are all shriveled up. Thanks for the reply,
    octoqueen

6. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

That's too bad octoqueen - so are they all lost?

7. octoqueen

I guess?? I just want to know what I did wrong so I don't do it again.

8. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I don't think you did anything wrong. About half the time 'dud' eggs come in that fail to develop and expand. IMO, they came to you no good.

9. octoqueen

Its still a bummer. Everyone in the lab was so excited. And I haven't been able to find any more anywhere else.

10. Kerrick

Kerrick GPO Registered

You anywhere near NC octoqueen?

11. Kerrick

Kerrick GPO Registered

Next time you get eggs... Check the gravity of the bag they send them in. I bet those were kept in low gravity sw which never turns out well with cuttle eggs. Try checking your LFS and see if they can order you eggs. I had good luck this way.

12. Reef Geek

Reef Geek O. vulgaris Supporter

What's special about NC? I'm heading that way this Friday.

13. octoqueen

No, I'm Dayton OH.
    The next time I get eggs, I'll will check the salinity of the bag though. Thanks

14. Kerrick

Kerrick GPO Registered

Was gonna ship her one or two of mine if she was within a state's distance.

15. octoqueen

Ya, I don't think they would make it. Thanks though. I emailed my lab coordinator to see if we can't get in another ceph. We have had pretty good luck with octopus, but everyone complained because they could never see them.

16. Kerrick

Kerrick GPO Registered

Did you ever call around to the LFSs in your area? I would try one more batch of cuttle eggs... Just from a different source.

17. octoqueen

Unfortunately I don't know of too many fish stores (besides petco) in Bowling Green, Ohio. I can ask around though. Maybe someone with a car can drive me to one.

18. Mark Forster

Mark Forster Cuttlefish Registered

same here

I have had four egg clutches from Paradise Pets with the same problem. I am searching for answers. But when the eggs start deflating with babies inside they are most likely dead. Do you have your water at 34 ppt salinity? I read an article from a breeder that says this is what they need. That may be my problem too. Next clutch I will have the water at this level. Good luck!