• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttle eggs

octoqueen

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi everyone! Just got some cuttle eggs in and I have a question. They are looking a little "deflated." I was afraid that there might not be enough O2 getting to them because they are in a little Critter Keeper and not a breeder net. Any suggestions?
Octoqueen

Hey! The critter keeper... Is it in the tank or open to tank water and flow? I doubt its an O2 problem if its submerged in the tank and there are atleast some slits for water movement.

Did the eggs come to you inflated and then subsequently deflate? If so this is probably not a good sign. If they came this way they will probably still inflate. Where'd you get them?

Sorry, I know I asked more questions then answered but we will probably need more info to help. Good luck and try to check out some of the journals to see other peoples experiences with eggs.

Well I am not sure what you mean by "in the tank" but hopefully I successfully attached some pictures to clear up some things.
They came pretty well inflated, but have since shrunk. I got them from Paradise Pet Shop. I have never done business with them. The eggs looked great when they got here. You could even see the little babies inside. I don't know what I did.
Thanks for the reply though.
octoqueen

Attachments

• conv_298342.jpg
    conv_298342.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 124
  • conv_298343.jpg
    conv_298343.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 105
I cant see them perfectly but most of those eggs look viable. You'll just have to watch and wait. What salinity (gravity) do you have your tank at? Do you know what the gravity the eggs were laid in is?

I keep it at 35ppt. I don't know at what salinity they were laid at. Oh, that's not what they look like now. That's what they looked like when I got them. Now they are all shriveled up. Thanks for the reply,
octoqueen

I don't think you did anything wrong. About half the time 'dud' eggs come in that fail to develop and expand. IMO, they came to you no good.

Next time you get eggs... Check the gravity of the bag they send them in. I bet those were kept in low gravity sw which never turns out well with cuttle eggs. Try checking your LFS and see if they can order you eggs. I had good luck this way.

Ya, I don't think they would make it. Thanks though. I emailed my lab coordinator to see if we can't get in another ceph. We have had pretty good luck with octopus, but everyone complained because they could never see them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back