[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Cuttle babies

Reaction score
Interesting you found face burn on your guys. Im still not confident thatt his comes from rubbing. Do you have measurements of Nitrates or even phosphates for the tank? Actually, Id be interested in any tank parameters that you have tools to measure.

I would definitely check nitrates though for they can get high in ceph tanks and I do feel this has an affect on breeding.

Bite marks are inevitable. My males all have them. Once they start laying eggs, expect the males to become even more territorial and aggressive.

My cuttles always decide to lay eggs in a cave in my system as well. Rich has told me that he keeps a piece of eggcrate in his system and his cuttles always lay eggs on it. It seems that once they choose a spot, they like to keep with this spot for Ive added a clay pot and a piece of egg crate without success. Regardless of how many times I remove thier eggs from the cave, they will keep laying new ones there. The cave is the darkest place in the tank. I feel they chose this spot for protective reasons.

hobogato

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
shipposhack, the two i got from you are doing great, i just found eggs today (they have been breeding for quite a while). there are about 40. i will post a pic tomorrow evening when i can get to it.

Reaction score
I actually haven't tested my tank since I put the eggs in. I have also done very few water changes since getting them (the last one was February, but I was planning to do one soon). It wouldn't surprise me if the Nitrate or Phosphate was a little bit high since I have been feeding dead food for a while now. I will test the tank tomorrow at work. I believe the first couple of clutches were infertile, though I still haven't taken a really good look at them. I found another clutch under a different rock yesterday, but in the same area. This spot is much easier to see though, and can be seen from the front of the tank without moving any rockwork.

Hobogato, it's good to know that yours are breeding and laying eggs. I hope you get some fertile ones soon.

Reaction score
I tested my water yesterday.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .1
Nitrate - 5
pH - 7.9
Phosphate - 2.5
Calcium - 500
dKH - 8.3

I am going to be doing a 5 gallon water change soon and will probably add some carbon and phosguard to the filter. The first two clutches are definitely infertile. I don't know yet about the 3rd one.

Reaction score
Your PH is a little low. Try to get it to around 8.3-8.4

Ive noticed with my eggs that they often deflate and then later inflate. So in some situations I though I had bad eggs to alter find out they were good.

Reaction score
With school starting next week and me only having 1 cuttlefish left and a massive aiptasia problem, I have decided that once this cuttle dies I am not going to get any more for a while. Looking back at the pictures makes me miss the babies but I do not have the time to try and breed them again. I am probably going to get some peppermint shrimp and possibly a butterfly to get rid of the aiptasia and just leave the tank alone for a while. Hopefully I will be ready to start breeding again after the holidays.

My board activity has been fairly nonexistant this whole summer; I think I just need a little break and then I will be ready to go again. I am going to try to keep watching the board for interesting news and updates, though my activity level will likely stay about the same.

Nancy

Staff member
Reaction score
The peppermint shrimp are all you need to get rid of aiptasia - I had a problem for a while, and now I have absolutely none!

This is the only animal cure for a problem that has ever worked for me!

Nancy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fokfok

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean