[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Cuttle babies

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by shipposhack, Dec 16, 2007.

1. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Last Tuesday (12/11/07) I received two clutches of cuttlefish eggs. Each had 10 eggs, but 3 out of the 20 were deflated leaving me 17. They are in 2 separate net breeders right now, one has more light and flow than the other. I want to see if that makes a difference in activity, growth rate, and willingness to use chromatophores. Both net breeders have some feather caulerpa and another kind of macroalgae in them for hiding.

My first hatchling was today (12/16/07), well probably last night, since I noticed him at about noon today. He is pretty shy. I wouldn't even have known he had hatched if I hadn't searched for him. I pulled out at least 50% of the macro in each net breeder because I was having a pretty hard time finding him. Now he hides under the piece of rubble in there *sigh*. He is already changing colors from white to brown, flashing at me when I push him out from under the rock. It was hard to get pictures of him and I was trying to get some of him brown, but I couldn't. I am getting a new camera tomorrow and it is much nicer than the one I have now, so it should be able to take better pictures. It also takes video, so I will be able to get some video as well.

I got some Mysids from work, I plan on ordering in lots from aquaculturestore.com when more hatch. I haven't seen him eat yet, but I expect he still has some of his yolk sac. I threw in probably about 5 mysids. He has been pretty lethargic so far today. I hope he is not sick, but I'm sure that's just me worrying :).

Here's some pics:

The first two are from today, the last 2 are of each net breeder the day I received the eggs.

Attached Files:

2. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Awwww....how cute and congrats!!!:baby:

What type are they?

3. shipposhack

S. Bandensis. If I had the money and the space I would try to get Pharonis, Officinalis, or Apama; maybe in a few years.

Thanks for the congrats :). I hope I can provide them a good home.

4. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

The newborns don't move around too much, so don't worry about him being lethargic. :baby: congratulations!

5. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Nice! Glad you could get some!

With the holiday season happening, double check your sources for mysids and make sure you get them before you need them!

6. shipposhack

Thanks. I'll make sure I have a reliable source throughout the holidays, thanks for the advice.

7. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: :cuttle:!

8. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Congratulations! :)

9. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Good luck with your cuttle eggs and the little cuttles!

Just a question - are the photos you posted only of the eggs, or is the little cuttle in there somewhere and I just don't see it?

Nancy

10. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I think there's a tiny white cuttle in the center of each of the top 2 pics, unless I'm hallucinating again...

11. shipposhack

Thanks all!

Nancy- Monty is right. In the top two pictures there is my only baby so far (I expect to have at least one more tomorrow). He is in between the caulerpa to the right of the pipet. It was hard to get a good picture because the caulerpa didn't want to stay down, my camera is chunky and hard to use with one hand, and the cuttle kept moving. I was trying to get a picture of him changing colors, but he was too quick and it was too tough to even get regular pictures.

12. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

OK, I see it now!
    Nancy

13. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Congrats on the cuttles. Thats a lot of eggs!
    Where did you end up getting them from?

14. shipposhack

Thanks, I got them from seacrop. Thanks to a tip from Thales :).

Three more hatched last night; one in net 1 (first cuttle for that cluster), and 2 more in net 2. I am going to call aquaculturestore.com tomorrow and order mysids. I still haven't seen any of the cuttles eat. The two cuttles that hatched in net 2 hatched between 1130 pm (lights out) and 1230 am (I peeked :)). The cuttle in net 1 hatched between 1 and 7 am. The cuttle in net 1 looks smaller than any of the 3 that have hatched in net 2. He also keeps a mottled golden-brown coloration during resting while the other cuttles stay white. It will be interesting to see if the entire cluster has different coloration.

Pictures! Camera didn't come today, sorry they are still kinda blurry. Pictures were easier to take than yesterday, however. The first two are of Net 2, which has 3 cuttles. I can tell the difference between the new ones and the one a day old! I circled one of them because he is really blurry and hides under the rock all day. The other is hiding behind his older brother under the plastic support. The 2nd one is of my only hatchling so far in net 1, again sorry for the blurriness.

Attached Files:

15. Paradox

Hehe that tip came from me to thales =)

Congrats on the eggs. I know youve been wanting some for a while. Since they are seasonal, we may be hitting a dry period again for a while. Good luck with your!

16. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Interesting that you can see the color difference you mentioned even in the photos. I will also be interesting to see if the color difference remains over the next couple of weeks.

17. shipposhack

Well then thank you for the pass along Paradox. And thanks for the congratulations.

Another cuttle from net 2 hatched the night of the 17th/morning of the 18th. None hatched yesterday, but 3 more hatched in net 2 last night. Now I have 7 in that net. There is just one more egg, that could have hatched since this morning. I think the 1 in net 1 is a premie. I got my new camera and I will try to upload pictures, but I still need to fiddle with it to get really good ones. The mysids should be waiting for me at my house.

There are some really full eggs in net 1, I expect some of them to hatch before the weekend. I am still suprised that only one has hatched and it has been a few days. So far the one in net 1 still stays golden-brown while all of the ones in net 2 are white. Both are able to change to the opposite color, however.

18. shipposhack

The final cuttle in net 2 hatched the night of the 20th/morning of the 21st. The oldest cuttle in that net is one week old tonight. Most of the cuttles seem interested in the Mysids, though I have only seen a few eat. Today all of them were visible when I got home from work at about 9. They were all still hiding under/near something, but I could count 8 without moving the rock or any macro. I usually peek at them once a night. When I do there are usually 2 or 3 in the middle of the net breeder with the rest sitting on the SE and S corner plastic frame. It is really funny, like the ones in the middle are putting on a show for the other guys. I suspect that the ones in the center are the oldest of the group. I am going to try to get a picture of it tomorrow night. It is pretty difficult to get them to move around during the day. Every once in a while I will see one walk along the rock or flash colors, but the only way I can get them to swim is by nudging them with my pipet (I swear I am not abusive :D). I hope they will become more day active as they age and realize that they will not be fed when the lights are off. Right now I can't really control when they eat; I just throw a bunch of mysids in there for them to hunt whenever they feel like it. I put new mysids in around 3 pm and 10 pm.

Net 1 had a second baby last night (Dec. 22 night/23 morn). The second one is also very small compared to any of the cuttles in net 2. I saw baby 1 try to catch a mysid earlier tonight; I don't think he got it though. There are at least 3 more eggs in net 1 that I can see a cuttle in. One of the cuttles I have seen move around and change colors in the egg. It was pretty neato :D. I haven't counted recently, but there should be 9 eggs total in that net (7 if you subtract the 2 that hatched). Both cuttles are extremely shy and as I said earlier, a good deal smaller than the cuttles in the other net. I will get a comparison shot tomorrow.

I tried to get a movie today of the cuttles eating; I sat there for almost 9 minutes (stood, rather) and I got some movement, but no action. I had a kink in my neck afterwords ^^.

19. Paradox

Once they get more accustomed to eating, you should be able to see them go for the mysids once they are placed in the net. At that point its good to watch and ensure each cuttle gets one.

Typically from my experience, flood feeding (constantly having a lot of food in the net) can intimidate baby cuttle to eat. They seem more likely to strike at a single shrimp then when theres a hoard of them. Thier confidence will grow in time, where they will strike at anything even if its much larger then they are.

20. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I have hardly ever seen them strike for the first two weeks. FWIW, I flood feed now to make sure the babies all get food because I am keeping the babies in a single group rather than separated. I used to think flood feeding was intimidating, but I now think the avoidance of food is just young cuttles being young.