• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Cthulhu cartoon

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
First Cartoon: I can read the I am (je suis) but fait was not in my limited French memory. Looking it up didn't help but I assume the whole baloon translates so someting akin to and idiom of "Oh my, I am toast" or "Oops, I've been had" (adult versions ommited).

Damien

O. vulgaris
Registered
this site is a French site ( but in english) and if the author use rarely french sentences, he never translate it to english ... damned frogs ! ^_^

Translation of Nemo's sentence could be "bon sang, je suis fais !" = "Damned !, i'm lost" or bloody hell ! , i'm trapped !"

It is not easy to translate such expression ( reverso http://dictionary.reverso.net/ or google translator are not powerfull enough to manage this) .

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Your translation is a more adult version of my own so at least I was on the right track.:wink:

I heard a saying once that I have quoted several times:

If you speak 3 languages your are trilinqual
If you speak 2 languages you are bilingual
If you speak 1 language you are an American :oops:

Damien

O. vulgaris
Registered
dwhatley;146122 said:
If you speak 1 language you are an American :oops:
it's working with most of Frenchies too ...except we have no choice to learn at least few english notions ( at least in science)

Members online

No members online now.