Cost of cuttlefish

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Teen Aquarist, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Teen Aquarist

Teen Aquarist Larval Mass Registered

I have a 180 gallon tank and want a few cuttlefish in there. Is live aquaria the best price or is there places I can them cheaper thanks!

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Keeping the cuttlefish fed is going to cost way more than the price of the cuttlefish...

3. forever27

forever27 GPO Registered

Are they even for sale right now on LiveAquaria?

4. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Liveaquaria only gets them once every few months, and they're always $149 and half-grown if not full-grown. Considering their short lifespan, spending that much on the animal is a bit ridiculous IMO.

I suggest looking at the Cuttlefish Availability thread, as there are people here who offer eggs and/or babies on occasion.

In the first two weeks of raising the babies I got, I had spent about $200 on food.

5. Scrounger

Scrounger Cuttlefish Supporter

I just got a cuttlefish via my local fish store. I paid $130. I had originally asked the owner to try and get one back in July, but he could not obtain one until now. He only was able to obtain one, and did not know too much about the cuttle's background (age? tank raised? even species?). I believe the cuttle I got was a bandensis. It's a couple of inches long, so I don't even know roughly how old that would make it. Hopefully, it has several more months of lifespan left, but I don't know.

This was the first cuttle I've even seen at any of the fish stores in the area, so I consider myself rather lucky to have even gotten this one.