Coldwater cuttlefish | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Coldwater cuttlefish

T.J.

Hatchling
Registered
I'm wondering if there is such a thing as coldwater cuttlefish? I recently (6 months ago) set up a coldwater marine tank and have been throwing around the idea of cuttlefish of small predator tank. Obviously I'm leaning towards cuttlefish but I like the idea and challenges associated with a coldwater tank (its currently running at 55°F) and was curious as to what specific species of cuttlefish I need to be researching for that temp range. Also any help on where to purchase them would be helpful (would need to be in the USA and be able to ship to TX). Thanks

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
:thumbsup: Keep us posted, @T.J.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
@T.J. One thing I failed to mention that will be important in your search. There are NO cuttlefish of any kind native to the western hemisphere, so anything you do find will be imported. Most imports are from tropical waters, making your quest doubly difficult.

drgmcooke

Blue Ring
Registered
Sepia officinalis stay small but live shorter lives in waters approaching and going over 20C. They thrive, just mature sooner.

drgmcooke

Blue Ring
Registered
Europe has at least three cold water cuttles btw S. officinalis, S. elgans and S. rbignyana + at least two bobtail squid. (ie little cuttles).

Members online

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards