Coconut-collecting octopus | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Coconut-collecting octopus

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Kewlness

ckeiser

GPO
Supporter
Very cool. I love how the octo keeps a keen eye on the diver even when hiding between the shells.

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Very kewl indeed. Poor guy finally got fed up with being" stalked".

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
My mother called me to tell me her MSN News showed information as if the coconut octopus was a brand new discovery. Cool for her to call (and notice) but I had to explain this was not a new find, just a new video.

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Monty this is brilliant footage! I've been hearing about that behavior (along with another of the octopus closing the shell around it and walking on two arms sticking through the gap) since 2000 but have never seen the rolling myself! Fantastic!

take care,
Crissy

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Made it to the front page "menu bar" of our most esteemed daily newspaper, "NRC Handelsblad", yay for octopodes!

ckeiser

GPO
Supporter
Everyone I know has been emailing, facebooking, or asking me if I'd heard of this. I love to see a ceph to widely publicised in the news and general public

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I agree that it is fun and interesting that this has interested so many people. It made my mother's MSNBC news clips and she had to call me, hoping she would deliver news I had not heard. I disappointed her but told her to keep trying :wink:.

CrossFire86

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Put the octo in the coconut, you such a silly woman!,
Put the octo in the coconut, put them both together,
Put the octo in the coconut, then you feel better.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
They were Australian scientist and they were studying the octos off the coasts of Northern Sulawesi and Bali in Indonesia.

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards