cloverfield rumor

:new_beammeup:

Attachments

• conv_292196.jpg
    conv_292196.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 72
Graeme;108846 said:
I remember when Snickers used to be Marathon:old: Well they used to be over here.

That's interesting; when I was young, we had a marathon bar that was different from snickers over here... google says this is a modern equivalent: Curly Wurly | Marathon Bar - OldTimeCandy.com

Of course, there's always been the weirdness that there is different UK vs US Mars bar packaging, although I think the candy is similar if not identical...

I only recently found out that Pepsi is different between the US and Mexico: in Mexico they use real sugar instead of corn syrup... my favorite Taco Truck imports the Mexican version and it tastes better.

Implications for Cloverfield paranoia are left up to you; I haven't seen it yet... but it sounds like they were watching the Slurm episode of Futurama when they came up with the backstory...

We had Marathon bars in the late seventies. They resembled long, flattened braids of caramel and chocolate. I was on my way to get one when I got hit by a car. Marathon should have hired me as a spokesman.:roll:

Line of the day, from Anthony Lane's "Cloverfield" review in The New Yorker.
As for the beast itself, well, Hollywood creatures adhere to one of two models: the Ernest Borgnine (wide, toadish, grinning) or the James Woods (vulpine, pointy-faced, unfriendly), and our chum in “Cloverfield,” with his crutchlike arrangement of limbs, springs firmly from the latter camp.
Lane liked it much less than I did, but his magazine's target audience doesn't have much use for sci-fi or horror films (unless they're French).

Clem

Edit: Monty knows the candy of which speak.

monty;108853 said:
That's interesting; when I was young, we had a marathon bar that was different from snickers over here... google says this is a modern equivalent: Curly Wurly | Marathon Bar - OldTimeCandy.com

You guys called curly-wurlies Marathons!? You guys across the pond, you're all weird! :lol:

Actually that's quite interesting. The name difference. One thing about Snickers- that's the relevence of the name? It's never been clear to me.

Cloverfield comes out next Friday over here :frown:

Ah, Marathon Bars. My dearest love in childhood besides SweetTarts - the movie ones that came in a cardboard box that you can still get around Halloween, although the ones in the foil and paper roll will still suffice. The giant ones and the chewy ones just plain suck. Haven't tried ShockTarts yet, however.

Yeah. Marathon Bars. You actually thought you were getting more, even though they weighed the same as a standard candy bar. Remember the commercials? I'll have to check YouTube.

Graeme, I have no idea why it's named Snickers. I'm still waiting on an explanation for Twizzlers.

Well, I went a bit crazy with the pencils last night and drew my impression of the Cloverfield monster, aka Mr Grumpypants. I've put it up on Flickr. It's hardly gospel and I've only seen "Cloverfield" once. Still, I think I came pretty close. Official images of the "Cloverfield" monster/s are still under total lockdown, but if you really want to see a decent impression of the thing, click here.

Clem

Nice sketch!

Wow. Nothing on YouTube regarding Marathon Bars except a bunch of UK Snickers ads - they even featured the same background jingle as the Snickers ads in the USA - when said candy bar was called Marathon. Doesn't anyone care about my chocolate and caramel cultural heritage?!
To heck with the peanuts and nougat!

Clem;109048 said:
Graeme, I have no idea why it's named Snickers. I'm still waiting on an explanation for Twizzlers.

Well, I went a bit crazy with the pencils last night and drew my impression of the Cloverfield monster, aka Mr Grumpypants. I've put it up on Flickr. It's hardly gospel and I've only seen "Cloverfield" once. Still, I think I came pretty close. Official images of the "Cloverfield" monster/s are still under total lockdown, but if you really want to see a decent impression of the thing, click here.

Clem

Oh wow! Nice sketch! So it actually looks more like a sleek quadraped? It looks more terrestrial than aquatic; mind you it could be benthic. Actually reminds me of something from the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion.

erich orser;109049 said:
Nice sketch!

Wow. Nothing on YouTube regarding Marathon Bars except a bunch of UK Snickers ads - they even featured the same background jingle as the Snickers ads in the USA - when said candy bar was called Marathon. Doesn't anyone care about my chocolate and caramel cultural heritage?!
To heck with the peanuts and nougat!

Did you find the Mr T one? A guy takes a dive while playing (probably "Sunday league" football (soccer); he's lying on the ground wailing "Aaugh! Ref!!" when Mr T tears up the road, into the park, in a big tank and levels the gun at him. Very funny!:roflmao:

Graeme;109382 said:
Oh wow! Nice sketch! So it actually looks more like a sleek quadraped? It looks more terrestrial than aquatic; mind you it could be benthic. Actually reminds me of something from the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Thanks, Graeme. My impression of the giant is that it's primarily aquatic, with forelimbs and shoulders optimized for swimming, and that its foray onto land was opportunistic. It's a bit clumsy on land, though no less lethal for it, and the one instance we see of it going fully bipedal ends badly. (It can't stand upright on dry land, but apparently didn't know that.) After dusting itself off, it sticks to walking/crawling on four limbs.

Yeah, it does have an Evangelion look in my first drawing. After seeing the movie a second time I started a new, quite different rendition. Paramount must be holding back all official images of the creatures(s) until the movie's opened globally, in all markets, so I'm still chained to memory. My new drawing is better, but there are still some features I've no flippin' clue about. The challenges are threefold. First, the giant's onscreen time is limited, and the view often obscured. Second, the giant's appearance isn't fully consistent from scene to scene, and its size seems to fluctuate too. (Those are problems that the best CGI artists haven't licked: ILM couldn't keep the tripods' size consistent in "WOtW.") Third, the thing itself is quite bizarre, with weird angles and a head made up of multiple volumes. It reminds me of at least five different animals, but my drawing can't look too much like any one of them.

The new drawing should be done tomorrow. I'll post it on Flickr and link to it here. And you can judge its accuracy after seeing the movie this weekend! :heee:

Clem

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back