cloverfield rumor

Eek.

On the plus side, that'll makes things easier for Steve and Kat when they necroscopy the whales. Those bites look a bit small for the behemoth we see in the film, though. Perhaps the whales were its baby food.

Some of this backstory material is pretty cool, but I'm skeptical that it all makes up for a coherent whole. That's why I don't like JJ Abrams's television series. After a while, I start to think: "This guy is throwing in everything he can think of to build a mythology that will never, ever make sense." He's like the Stephen King of old, imaginative and a born storyteller but wholly incapable of self-editing or narrative discipline.

I still like my theory about the monster, but the filmmaker's notion that the behemoth is actually a juvenile, lost and scared, is pretty cool too. Presumably, that's why its movements are so gawky and uncoordinated, and at times it seems to be looking for something. Looking for Mom?

"Paging Mrs. Cloverfield, Mrs. Cloverfield, please come to the store manager's office, your son is breaking New York."

Clem

One thing i want to know is why it's even coming ashore? I presume it isn't even hinted at in the movie, but it's a bit perplexing; why a (presumably) deep-sea animal would even be able to move on land.

A bit of a washout, it doesn't acutally get released over here until the 1st of February.:sad:

chrono_war01;108730 said:
1-18-08_11.jpg

It's on the 1-18-08 site. This was what I was referrring to when I was blabbering about whales.

Dang... like taking a bite out of a sandwich. Some ginormous chompers.

Graeme;108738 said:
One thing i want to know is why it's even coming ashore? I presume it isn't even hinted at in the movie, but it's a bit perplexing; why a (presumably) deep-sea animal would even be able to move on land.
Graeme, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who tosses wet blankets on a barbecue.:twisted: The obsessive fanbase leans heavily towards the artificial life-form theory, that it's a one-off amalgam of different species that was part of a for-profit research venture gone wrong. Another, smaller faction thinks the monster is an extra-terrestrial that splashed down in the Atlantic and was discovered by the same for-profit company, the Tagruato corporation. In either scenario, there's nothing that stipulates the monster is a deep-sea animal, or even a primarily aquatic one. The New York connection isn't made clear in the film, but the tanker that capsizes in New York Harbor apparently has the Tagruato logo on it. Could have been transporting something iffy, could have been followed by the monster, but there is some kind of connection.

Animal Mother said:
Reminds me of the Kraken in the old "Clash of The Titans".
I see exactly what you mean. It reminded me of another Harryhausen critter, the Ymir from "20 Million Miles to Earth." Fast-growing baby ET washes ashore, freaks out and adds rubble to Rome.

Another gripe about "Cloverfield": when someone spends, uh, face time with the monster, they come out looking unmussed. Dead, but clean and dry. Graeme can take whacks at implausible biomechanics and migratory habits, but I am certain that a person scooped up by whale-killing jaws would NOT come out looking like they were taking a nap. :roll:

Clem

Clem;108745 said:
Graeme, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who tosses wet blankets on a barbecue.:twisted: The obsessive fanbase leans heavily towards the artificial life-form theory, that it's a one-off amalgam of different species that was part of a for-profit research venture gone wrong. Another, smaller faction thinks the monster is an extra-terrestrial that splashed down in the Atlantic and was discovered by the same for-profit company, the Tagruato corporation. In either scenario, there's nothing that stipulates the monster is a deep-sea animal, or even a primarily aquatic one. The New York connection isn't made clear in the film, but the tanker that capsizes in New York Harbor apparently has the Tagruato logo on it. Could have been transporting something iffy, could have been followed by the monster, but there is some kind of connection.

I see exactly what you mean. It reminded me of another Harryhausen critter, the Ymir from "20 Million Miles to Earth." Fast-growing baby ET washes ashore, freaks out and adds rubble to Rome.

Another gripe about "Cloverfield": when someone spends, uh, face time with the monster, they come out looking unmussed. Dead, but clean and dry. Graeme can take whacks at implausible biomechanics and migratory habits, but I am certain that a person scooped up by whale-killing jaws would NOT come out looking like they were taking a nap. :roll:

Clem

About Tag. Corp, you forgot about the the "Chuai Station" factor and the fact that it seems that Slusho is as much of a growth-hormone, anti-depressant and steroid that seems to make everything it touches bigger, stronger, better.
The satellite image seems to be either part of the plot in some way but it's definitely not the monster.
(The viral marketing campaign has had the "Whistleblower" mentioned in my last last post send some images titled "Son-air1" and "Son-air2" and what seems to be a dark mysterious shape in the water before the fall of the satellite off Coney Island or the fall of Chuai.)
Besides, seven hours (or so) in the wind tends to dry out even the largest monsters even when they did appear out of the sea.

- The Chuai Station's destruction reported on the news. :sink:

I didn't forget about the platform that went under, it just didn't seem relevant when answering Graeme's question.

As for Slusho, I don't think it means much, to be perfectly honest. "Cloverfield" got its name from the street Abram's production company is on. They needed a codename for their hush-hush film, and chose the street name ("Return of the Jedi" was codenamed "Blue Harvest," and quite a few people thought that Lucas was making a non-"Star Wars" movie.) They weren't planning on releasing a movie called "Cloverfield," but once people started obsessing about the mysterious new Abrams movie with the opaque name, the filmmakers decided not to mess with an established brand and adopted the moniker. Slusho first appeared as a fictional beverage on "Alias" and became an in-house gag with the Abrams set, and was, for a time, an alternate codename for the secret monster movie project.

This is all to say that Slusho could prove to be as deeply meaningful as Cloverfield, that is, not deeply meaningful at all. I'm oviously leery of making categorical statements about what any of this viral crap might prove, and Abrams ought to be careful about letting his cleverness in marketing outstrip his abilities as a filmmaker and TV impresario. More than being leery of vaporware, I'm hostile to the notion that one can't truly "get" a film until one has consumed every last bit of ancillary material that the producers put on the internet. "Cloverfield" stands on it's own four legs. Extending the experience of the film by trying to make sense of random clues can be fun, but Abrams knows that any crumbs he drops are going to be pored over and exalted. Have you seen "Life of Brian?" Brian's followers think everything he drops means something. Brian didn't encourage them. Abrams encourages his followers, and believes his own hype. I just hope he doesn't leave his fans feeling like suckers.

Clem

Ah, but the fandom seems to be obsessing over it is becuase Slusho! has so many known properties that might explain the appearance of a giant monster, but not only that it's ingredients and origin is a complete secret and also it's also part of Tag. Corp.

There seems to be a link, we actually see a Slusho shirt in the movie, we also know that Rob is going to Japan to presumably work for Slusho/Tag and that certain actors within the play have drank Slusho.

Remember the series of Jamie loves Teddy Videos? Jamie (the girl in the video) went absolutely crazy after ingesting a small amount of the substance and then went into these wild mood swings.
The most recent would shows that she may have ingested the entire packet of unfrozen DSN and the last time (in game chronologically) we see her is her sleeping on the couch at Rob's party (cue sleeping blond).

Then we also have the fact that Chuai was a oil-rig that wasn't drilling for oil.

I think the Thing came from area 51, and the smaller beasts were on the grassy knoll.

chrono_war01;108783 said:
And this is where the thread decended into insanity and loss all seriousness, TONMO-style.

*snickers*
Wait a minute. Snickers? Are Snickers candy bars related to "Cloverfield?" OMG, yes! Remember when they were hiding in the convenience store, just before the lights go out you can clearly see Snickers bars on a rack. Maybe they have anti-Slusho properties. Also, the Snickers tag line is "Snickers Really Satisfies," or S.R.S for short. S.R.S. Technologies is a real company within the defense industry. They were just bought out by ManTech. Is ManTech doing its own research into artificially enhanced organisms, aimed at developing a super soldier? Check out this ManTech webpage. She's clearly telling us that they're hiding something. Is she ManTech's Whistleblower? Is she telling us to STFU? Chewy caramel and peanuts! CHEWY CARAMEL AND PEANU--

This message, written in chocolate on the inside of an empty Slusho container, was found by the U.S. Defense Department in the area formerly known as "Way Uptown."

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back