[BREAKING NEWS]: Colossal Squid

Re: Tintenfisch, marry me!

Kopffuss said:
Tintenfisch, please marry me. I've fallen for you! That picture of you next to that squid is such a turn-on. Please don't leave me hangin'. Would you be mine?

Aw shucks... :roll:

Hm, Pennsylvania... Axel, bist du's? Koennte es mir irgendwie vorstellen...

Or, if this is FINALLY Ryan Stiles... YES!! :wink:

TaningiaDanae said:
Hmmm, wonder how much one of those things would go for on eBay.... ?

i think 39.99, but only if you include a Pasta Pro..... i do have to say that im very jealous, you must have QUITE a tub.... but if that german family can keep an eel in their tub for 20+ yrs ( BBC NEWS | Europe | Family spared eviction of pet eel ) why not a Mesonychoteuthis? it could serve as another garbage disposal and a sure fire way to lure amateur ceph heads around (whether that was deired or not)

"Hey Tani, can the Colossal Squid come out and play?"

Shucks, right back at ya!

This Axel character you speak so highly of sounds interesting. What a coincidence. We're residing in the same state (there are some 50 of them you know).
I had a real question pertaining to the forum. Was the story broadcasted on TV at all? Or will there be in the near/not so near future? I really want to see this beast on the tube! :lol:

Kopffuss,

Out here on the Western Frontier of CA we were treated to footage of El Squiddo, but mostly through LOCAL news... War and SARS pretty much filled up the national news. *sigh*

I did, however, catch a netcast on BBC Online (www.bbc.co.uk)... Try there if you have a decent connection.

PBS did a CEPH special a few years back called "Incredible Suckers". Maybe we can lobby a sequel? :P

Also, I think that Mesonchyteuthis should be changed to Tyranoteuthis osheatintenfischtonmoii...

Still searching the trees for squibbons... Or the ever elusive tree shark...

Sushi and Raspberry Sake,

John

WhiteKiboko said:
"Hey Tani, can the Colossal Squid come out and play?"

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Love it!

Re the eel story: It apparently made the papers all the way from Europe to the US, Middle East, Africa, and Australia:

http://www.petsforum.com/petnews/020303b.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s757499.htm
Arabia.com
URL truncated by TONMO :smile:
http://www.moggies.co.uk/wybi/2003/feb2003_2.html (scroll down)
BBC NEWS | Europe | Family spared eviction of pet eel
DispatchLIVE

and that's just the tip of the smorgasbord.

It is heartwarming to know that in this world of war, terrorism, crime, greed, and disease, so many people can take the time to champion the personal rights of an aging would-be appetizer.
:goldfish: (Where is an eel smiley now that we need one?)

But I digress.... re my bathtub, on reflection it might not be an ideal environment for a healthy, growing Colossal Squid. However, I've come up with an alternative plan that will be ideal for everyone concerned (teuthid and bipedal):

While my tub has limited space, there's always room in the TONMO Official Jacuzzi! And if we relocate the Humboldts to another home, the CS will have plenty of swimming room. It works out well for us too, because it's more economical to have just one beak to feed than a dozen. All we have to do is toss in the occasional lawyer, tax auditor, or smartass Kiwi teuthologist, and our CS will remain sleek, robust, and well-fed.

As for the Pasta Pro, I think we can give that to some needy Italian chef, since we could always teach the CS to drain the spaghetti through its claws, and toss and serve salads with its feeding tentacles. That delicate soupçon of ammonia will add a delightfully piquant flavor to our culinary creations.
Eat your heart out, Emeril -- BAM! :meso: :wine:

Kickin' it up a notch,
The Tanster

DANG!!! i was hoping to bring up the hottub connection..... :smile: who knows, maybe i can strap on my old football gear and wrestle a Colossus for charity.... (idea to rivive an amusing but dying thread) as for john, are we getting in the springtime mood with the fruit flavoured sake? are tree sharks just reallly mean squirrels? and as for Kat, ryan stiles is yet another reason i dont understand the Homo lineage....:smile:

tintinfisch, her er jeg

hei, sosterin min! jer er naa en member paa tonmo. jeg ser et bardun har deg spoer, han "zu verheiraten". hva vil du svare? er hun svaer axel?
jeg har ogsaa alle artikkelene las. veldig veldig fint!

:biggrin2:

Dude...

[ahem] For everyone else around here, that's my little (OK, sorry, younger) sister... I guess TONMO is a family affair now! 8)

Velkommen til TONMO!

WhiteKiboko,

Well, the Hakusan family brewery/winery is a few hours south of here in Santa Rosa, CA. They make great Sakes, including Plum and Raspberry, as well as filtered and unfiltered. I love good sake, hot or cold. As far as other alcohols I prefer a good Japanese beer or lager from the U.K.

:beer:

But sake and such is always best with a buddy :cheers:

"Flaggermus" (?? some kind of mouse or bat??)... Welcome to TONMO. I have NO idea what your post said, but I'll assume it was friendly... :lol: My languages are Spanish, English, some Russian, and some ancient Egyptian (I'm really working hard on the last two!)

Some time ago a local fisherman caught a 40 lb Enteroctopus ... He let it go afterwards, thankfully... Other than that, no new ceph news on the western frontier....

Sushi and Sake,

John

Fujisawas Sake said:
"Flaggermus" (?? some kind of mouse or bat??)

Very good :grad:

Flaggermus means bat in Norwegian. My sister is to bats as I am to squid, basically. :smile:

Alas, my knowledge of foreign languages (aside from German & Norwegian) is mostly limited to non-useful phrases, mostly including the word 'octopus.' (In Russian I can say 'thanks for the octopus' and in Japanese 'your octopus is tiny.') So... how do you say octopus in ancient Egyptian?

good guess!

bravo on the translation of "flaggermus". i bet the ancient egyptian is pretty fun to speak. wow! 8)

i'm kat's sister (maybe not SO little anymore), and thought it was high time that i join the website on which she is so prominently a part of. especially since she's getting such wicked news coverage for the colossal squid! woohoo! everyone here is really stoked about it.
i speak german and english, and am working on my norwegian. as my sister said, bats are to me as squid are to her. i thought about calling myself blekksprut, but that was more up her alley than mine. oh well. it's fun to finally be a member here!
cheers! 8)

Tintenfisch and Flaggermus,

Thankee-sai. I tend to read a lot of biological science books, so the Greek, Latin, and other langauge bases make me somewhat of an expert in Biology as a Second Language, as I like to say.

Bats? I love bats. My wife is taking mammalogy right now, and I know the local species pretty well, as well as some of the off the wall random species around the world. I still think one of the ugliest animals in the galaxy is Hipsognathus monstrosus, the Hammer-head bat. From what I can tell, I think the name means "Horse-jawed monster" or something like that.

As far as cephalopods, well, I tend to want to understand molluscs in general, and my ulterior motive for joining this club has been to increase my knowledge on what I believe to be the ultimate mollusc; a creature with advanced intelligence and design. I think cephs are a miracle; molluscs that stretch the molluscan body plan or bauplan, to its limits. Its like seeing a dolphin skull for the first time. Same bones as us, but completely moved about and modified, as if molded as some strange form of biological plastic. And what does the future hold? New advances in cephs? Eyeless bats that prowl the night skies and lurk on the forest floor? The possibilities are endless....

Sushi and Sake,

John

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back