bought an octopus, but what kind?

Lifespan should be 12-18 months with 12 months a best guess. From observation of the other (only a few) very young briareus, 9 months would be less than expected (as far as I know, Cassy and Tatanka are the first briareus journaled on TONMO where the exact age was known but Kalypso and Legs were very, very young and both lived 12+ months in captivity). The mercs I have raised were true to the 8 - 12 month shortened range expected for a dwarf (with one living 13 months and at least one dying at 8 months).

There are things people suggest or want to do that I would not attempt but see value in trying. There are other things that do not make sense to try. Where experiments fall on the scale is pretty much an individual consideration. My own observations would keep me from denying an octopus a den. I have had very interactive animals (Monty, Octane, OhToo, Puddles, Beldar, Sisturus), very observable but noninteractive octos (Maya, Serendipity, Sleazy, SueNami, Kooah), shy but still observable animals (Tatanka, KaySoh, Wiley), a few, mostly mercs, that were only seen on rare occasions or only while senescent and a one total recluse (Creepy). All were afforded as much denning area as I could provide with different results. What would have happened if the overly shy animals had less hiding opportunities I don't know. I think if I were to experiment with the idea, it would be to provide hiding places but remove them in some way during feeding time. Best guess would be to force them in the open something like one hour before and 2 hours after feeding since this seems to often be an interactive time with those that were naturally more interactive. My tube tank would probably make a good layout to try something like this, leaving one side barren, feeding only on that side and blocking any return to the denning side for a period of time.

I think that the short lifespan, independent life style (although we are learning that this is not as much the case as we once thought for all octopuses) and lack of parents probably prohibits any real domestication of octopuses. IMO, they are intelligent for clams but but do not approach the cats they have been compared to. The one thing I do see that sets them apart (though there are a few fish that will do this too, particularly grouper) is that some will interact, without food incentive, with humans. With the ones I have interacted with, it is unclear if the physical touching is akin to grooming (my curiosity about this prompted me to asked Mucktopus if she had seen any signs of cleaner fish interaction and she noted that there has been observation of this with O. cyanea but she did not see it with A. aculeatus) or something more mental.

So tonight I let him touch me. He grabbed my hand with 2 arms, wow sticky tenticles! I was scared of getting bitten so I did not get too close to his body. It almost looked like he would let me touch his head but more likely his beak would have dug into my hand.

He grabbed me with 3 arms today and almost looked like he was going to pounce so I had to pull back. I almost understand his fear of me at this point. If he does bite me what can I expect? My real concern is me hurting him while he is hurting me. I know his bite wont kill me. I was bitten by a cuttlefish once.

I got some pretty cool pics but not the shot I wanted. He just wouldn't come out. I got some good shots in his night den and a few off the glass but not THE shot.

I'll post them tomorrow.

For some first hand bite experiences, read through the Octopus Bites thread but I believe you will have the distinction of being the first to get bitten by an O.briareus. Don't be drinking hot coffee when you read Roy's account though :biggrin2: The couple of times I have been nipped there was no toxin and only a pin prick or red mark that disappeared quickly. In both instances, I was handling a dying animal that did not want to leave my hand and I was trying to put it in a net (to die without being bothered by bristle worms) or back onto the live rock.

We have seen O. briareus appear aggressive (and I have mentioned that Cassy seemed to be proned to this) but none of the keepers journaling were bitten. Cassy is starting to act like she wants to physically interact now but is still tentative about petting. Sometimes she pulls but often she will just touch and allow touching back. Every couple of days she will allow a little mantle petting.

It is pretty easy to avoid being bitten though as long as you accept that the live rock may get disrupted. If Cassy is on the live rock we let her take our hand to the back of the tank to minimize the pulling distance (and less LR disruption). There are a couple of videos on her thread that show typical initial interaction. One trick that usually works if you feel she is pulling too hard is to start stroking the back of the pulling arm with any free fingers you can manage. The manuver is a bit tricky but usually works. For whatever reason, they seem only to pull and not come forward so you have some control (this is after they attach to you, before they grab you all bets are off). IME, once they realize that you can resist more than they can pull they release rapidly and hide.

IMG_8172.JPG

I'm normally not up this late but yesterday around 3-3:45 he was going crazy! All over the tank out and about. All the way to the top of the water I've never seen him go to the top. To my knowledge he's never tried to escape but the top is covered well anyway.

Instead of starting with the flash I took some pics at iso 3200 which of course are grainy but it allowed me to take many many many pictures and then I moved onto flash.

I played with him a bit he grabbed me several times, I pet him on the head and he didn't mind (i only did this AFTER giving him shrimp to be safe).

I'm almost worried he's going senile he was so friendly last night, but he still reacted similarly to flash as always, ate his food and this morning he's back in his normal den so maybe he was just in a good mood.

I thought I took a lot more pictures, but I did get a few decent. I really need better lenses

IMGP8961.JPG

IMGP8972.JPG

IMGP8987.JPG

IMGP8991.JPG

It's too bad my glass was not cleaner

IMG_8258.JPG

I always seem to get the flash in the pic too, here's a 10 minute photoshop job

IMG_8258ps.jpg

IMG_8251.JPG

There might be a few more. Today I will clean up the glass in the hopes he makes another extended visit hopefully at an earlier time.

I really like the second one in the second set (except I kept trying to clean my computer screen on the right hand side :biggrin2:). It does seem that one hobby starts requiring money for a second and in the case of aquariums, camera and lens upgrades seem to be a natural progression.

I would guess you are reaching maturity, not senescence. It is just now at the small size we normally see collected.

DWhatley;171450 said:
I would guess you are reaching maturity, not senescence. It is just now at the small size we normally see collected.

That would be SO AMAZING if you are right.

He actually started to come out pretty early yesterday but I went to bed. Tonight I'll be up late and the glass is a lot cleaner.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back