bought an octopus, but what kind?

DWhatley;171681 said:
Now you can show your friends (you know, the ones you would not tell because you never saw him) your octopus :biggrin2: Nice shot!

Yeah actually I had people over the other day and they could actually see him in the den.

Times have changed, maybe one day he will venture out during daylight.

I'm going to have to measure, but still not fully grown.

New pics at iso 3200 and 1/10 shutter speed. Super slow so if he moved it would blur.

o6.JPG

o7.JPG

o5.JPG

That last one was at 1/30th what a mistake could have been a real nice one. It's very rare for me to see him on the rocks like this.

o4.JPG

o3.JPG

Too bad my hand reflection is in that one.

o1.JPG

All of the pictures were taken through the front pane which I always try and do since its starphire (not sure if it really makes a difference for photos but there's usually less water to shoot through vs a side shot), however I would keep checking him out from the side. Everytime I would he'd turn either his head or eyes to maintain eye contact or at least so he could see where I was.

I love the webover shot. Printed on canvas it would look like an oil painting!

My two don't stay still in the open for long enough to do a slow exposure. Cassy will sit for a long period on the back wall but the pose is less than boring :biggrin2:

We saw Tatanka out with the lights on for just a few minutes today too ;>). I might even have gotten a picture (have not dumped the card yet). We think he may be flirting with Cassy.

I need some new lens and possibly a camera. I'm thinking about getting a 50mm 1.8 lens for my canon but it only shoots up to iso 1600, the 1.4 is considerably more although I'm sure it's a lot nicer.

These are again with my old pentax which once got salt water in it and only sometimes works. I do however have a nice 2.8 100mm macro lens.

I wish I could get a job as an octopus photographer :smile:

IMGP9242.JPG

IMGP9249.JPG

He also inked this morning but a very small amount that was hardly noticeable.

Amazing webbing WOW! Great photos.
Sam's Aqua inked the other day, just a wisp in the of ink came out. Could these mini ineffective inkings just be out of nervousness and out of self protection. I wonder, because if they really felt threatened, wouldn't you think they'd send out a big cloud? hmm

The mottled burnt orange/peach is Neal's favorite coloration (I like the dark body and white arms best :biggrin2:). New lens?, new camera? Are we having fun yet? :wink:

Maybe he was annoyed. I try and keep the flashes to a minimal. I've been mostly taking without the flash these days.

I need the new lens for and camera for other things as well, but this guy isn't going to live forever so sooner rather then later. I would like to get one good photo I could print out at 8x10 and frame.

Anyway today I got a pretty good measurement of arm to arm reach somewhere between 26-30" probably 27-28. full grown? Or will that be more like 36"? He was stretched pretty good. I have not had a chance to measure the mantle.

I could not hold the tape and take the shot but obviously with landmarks I was able to get a pretty accurate measurement.

IMGP9287.JPG

IMGP9304.JPG

IMGP9308.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back