Bitten by bandensis

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
3,000
#1
Today I had to move cuttles around for various reasons. They really didn't like the clear plastic container I usually use to catch them up, so I resorted to my hand. One of them latched onto my pinky, the same way they will latch onto the glass or a shipping bag, and started to bite me. It was cute at first then started to hurt. Not hurt like I needed to fling it across the room and off my hand, but I got him off and into his new digs quickly.
He had broken the skin a little bit, really a little, and the site started to hurt. I got paranoid and every crap in my body made me thing I was poisoned. :smile: The pinky swelled a bit, but not enough to take a pic. 10 minutes later I had forgotten about and 30 minutes later the swelling went away.

So, strange reaction related to my body, or something in the bite? Maybe one day we'll know.
 

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Joined
Dec 14, 2007
Messages
656
#2
Thales;114804 said:
Today I had to move cuttles around for various reasons. They really didn't like the clear plastic container I usually use to catch them up, so I resorted to my hand. One of them latched onto my pinky, the same way they will latch onto the glass or a shipping bag, and started to bite me. It was cute at first then started to hurt. Not hurt like I needed to fling it across the room and off my hand, but I got him off and into his new digs quickly.
He had broken the skin a little bit, really a little, and the site started to hurt. I got paranoid and every crap in my body made me thing I was poisoned. :smile: The pinky swelled a bit, but not enough to take a pic. 10 minutes later I had forgotten about and 30 minutes later the swelling went away.

So, strange reaction related to my body, or something in the bite? Maybe one day we'll know.

Do bandensis have venom and could you have been poisoned?

BTW: Really random, but I read on the computer by highlighting each line and when you highlight the little smiley that Thales used, it looks sad hehehehe.
 

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
4,887
#3
L8 2 RISE;114806 said:
Do bandensis have venom and could you have been poisoned?
Most cuttles have a variant of cephalotoxin, which is likely to cause some effect as your immune system says "hey, there's random crap in this cut" although "random crap" could just be the stuff in tank/sea water. As far as I know, bandensis saliva hasn't been studied specifically, though, but most forms of cephalotoxin are not very dangerous to humans (but are very bad for crustaceans) unless the human is allergic.
 

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
5,669
Location
Dallas Texas
#6
Sorry you got bitten but good that the effect was minor.
I guess now we can have a Cuttlefish Bites thread like Octopus Bites!

Nancy
 

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
4,887
#8
Octodude;114832 said:
I thought that refered to the toxin in their flesh?
Unless there's more than one TV special on the subject, it's discussed in detail here:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/7584/

in brief, though, you're right, it's specifically mentioned that the toxin is in the flesh, and implied (although vaguely enough that it shouldn't be taken as "true") that it's not in the saliva.
 

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
3,000
#9
I would never pick up the flam or the wunderpus or the new zebra with bare hands. No way, colors like that mean something IMO.
Bandensis though, all the time when then need to be moved.
This one was 3 or 4 months old. I think I moved 7 today, one bit me.
 

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
216
#13
i read somewhwere that some people are allergic to ceph bites the same way theyre allergic to bee stings....dont know how you would test for that though, i'm sure most doctors arent too learned in ceph venom
 

shipposhack

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
672
Location
Laie, Hawaii
#16
daddysquoc;114927 said:
i read somewhwere that some people are allergic to ceph bites the same way theyre allergic to bee stings....dont know how you would test for that though, i'm sure most doctors arent too learned in ceph venom
People that are allergic to ceph venom are most likely allergic to the iodine in it.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
19,357
Messages
201,852
Members
8,274
Latest member
Mcorbell

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards
Top