Bigby-Cannon Limestone

Here is another little ceph to add from this location, right at 1cm. long and 5mm. wide. When I find these small ones I always wonder if they're juveniles or small species. It's funny though, that I've found the smallest and the largest cephs since I've started collecting at this location. Note the crystallization (or is it re-crystallized?)

Bear with me on the photos, I'm learning but not quite there yet! I have visions of tubes, stacking software and stereoscopes dancing in my head. :bonk: (but I will learn this camera inside and out first).

Attachments

• conv_300574.jpg
    conv_300574.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 125
And then these...the larger one is totally (re)crystallized, so the only thing I have to go on is the shape it's 5cm. long. The little one is 5mm. long, at first I thought it (the little one) looked a little crinoidish, but the end view made me think cephish. I saw quite a few the same size and shape broken and scattered around in the gravel and several more like the one pictured still in the matrix, I was able to chip this one off the rock and bring home. I've done quite a bit of searching and if not cephs I just don't know what they could be, what do you think Kevin?

Attachments

• conv_300575.jpg
    conv_300575.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 119
  • conv_300576.jpg
    conv_300576.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 167
  • conv_300577.jpg
    conv_300577.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 163
well im split. ive never seen crystals like that on crinoid columnals before (or on cephs, for that matter). does the crystalline material inside the big one crumble into 1-3mm grains? ive noticed that crystallized cephalopod gas chambers crumble in such a way.

The first one is definitely a cephalopod, with the chambers and siphuncle visible. :smile:

The small one in the other photos looks like a crinoid to me, recrystallization has taken it's toll, at least to the inerds.

The larger one looks like a sponge or bryozoan... again, weathering and recystallization have been at work so a few more specimens showing other preserved features would certainly help with an ID.

The photos are great, I enjoy scrolling around in them and seeing all the other cool fossils. :notworth:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back