Bigby-Cannon Limestone

Here's another ceph about 10 cm. long, not much detail for an id. There are only a couple of septa visible, pretty widely spaced at a 1 cm. apart, quite a bit wider than I'm used to seeing, and it seems to have been transversly sectioned or broken at some point. Pretty worn, at first glance I thought it was a chunk of the living chamber. :smile:

Attachments

• conv_298510.jpg
    conv_298510.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
  • conv_298511.jpg
    conv_298511.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
Here are two more with closely spaced septa (last from this site till this crazy heat wave breaks:sad:) the first one is a bad pic. but you'll get the idea. Bad pic. aside I like this one, it seems really slender for as long as it is, hard to tell from pic. just a little longer than the hammer, and kind of an odd shape, or just different from what I've seen before.

Attachments

• conv_298512.jpg
    conv_298512.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
Here's the one I tried to post last night (hopefully):roll:. Yay, my computor wants to cooperate! This fossil not nearly as weathered as the one above and a slightly better photo.

Attachments

• conv_298515.jpg
    conv_298515.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 142
These next two are reposts (post 11,pics. 3&4). The first one I'm wondering if it could be the outer shell of an orthcone and the 2nd is just a better picture, and on the right just above the end of the hammer are a couple of interesting bits. I hope my recent posts aren't to dull, I've been under the weather in a couple of different ways, so I'm stuck inside with a lot of photos and a lot of time! Personally I've never met a fossil that I thought was boring but that's just me.:sly:

Attachments

• conv_298516.jpg
    conv_298516.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 174
  • conv_298517.jpg
    conv_298517.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 154
Get well soon Terri, it will cool off in a while.

Looks like a nice Endocerid? (bottom pic #83), the two bits on the right look like a section of the outer shell and an endosiphocone (or the replaced siphuncle of an Ellesmerocerid). Again, without sectioning and looking at any internal structure it is hard to tell if it is the siphuncle of an Ellesmerocerid or the Endosiphocone of an Endocerid. An Endocerid would have endocones or some other internal structure like that ?Allotrioceras in post #10.

The upper pic is indeed the outer shell of an orthocone and another ?endosiphocone on the right. :smile:

The one in post 82 is nice. Hard to tell about the siphuncle, it looks wide but not well preserved.

I'm beginning to think the fossil in post 76 is a high spired gastropod, it just don't fit in with the rest of these.
:tongue: (just had to use that new smilie :sly:)

Get well soon Terri, it will cool off in a while.

Thank you Kevin!
:smile:
Cool to everything explained about pic. #83!
:cool2:
Again, without sectioning and looking at any internal structure it is hard to tell if it is the siphuncle of an Ellesmerocerid or the Endosiphocone of an Endocerid

:tongue:I have to get over my fear of breaking or ruining fossils! I have access to a lot of tools but access to the people who can operate them without losing limbs is limited,:goofysca: I do have hammers and chisels and I guess I'm just going to have to learn by smashing a few up. And really it's not like I am going to run out of them to practice on. I could probably do something with the first one in post 83 (when I finally get out of the house) it will be interesting to see whats inside.:smile:

I'm beginning to think the fossil in post 76 is a high spired gastropod, it just don't fit in with the rest of these.
:tongue: (just had to use that new smilie :sly:)

Awesome! That explains everything, seeing no signs of, well anything(2nd pic).It would have been a decently sized gastropod if it is indeed that, cool.:biggrin2:

Here's one more ceph from this location, found amidst the rubble covering my picnic table :roll:, pretty sure this is the last one from this location (until I get to go back out). I feel sure there's more to find..

Attachments

• conv_298553.jpg
    conv_298553.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 141
Sounds good to me! This location is small but the predominant fossils seem to be cephs, unlike "the quarry" (Lebanon Limestone), which is so fossilliferous it's crazy, but there are cephs, just have to do a lot of looking.:smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back