astro-turf?

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by tankgirl527, Jun 28, 2008.

1. tankgirl527

tankgirl527 Larval Mass Registered

A friend of mine works at a public aquarium and has told me that they use asrto-turf to keep the octopus in its display tank. I have heard of this being used but was wondering if anyone has actually tried it and does it really work?

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I've heard it works well for large octos, but it's less clear that it would be effective for small octos (that have small enough suckers to grab the "blades of astroturf.")

Most people try to seal their tanks rather than just setting up obstacles.

3. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

I've got velcro across the front of my tank, similar. It irritates the crap out of my skin and appeared to deter my octopus for a little while but it doesn't seem to slow her down anymore.

4. Keith

Keith Vampyroteuthis Registered

i would think that velcro would be a whole lot cheaper too.

5. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

we use astro turf on one of our tanks (it has no lid!) and it works fine, BUT you need to make sure the astro turf extends further than the octopus can reach (we made that mistake first time we used it!) so to be sure now we have double the amount half inside and half outside. You need to give it a scrub from time to time too, other wise it gets full of c&^p and the octopus climbs happily over it anyway!!

J