[Featured]: Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

[Note from tonmo]: Here are a bunch of news stories (and a photo) octobot picked up on this morning regarding a washed-up "giant squid". [Edit: I had said this looked to me like Mesonychoteuthis, but if Clem is ready to start dining on himself if I am right, well... I hope I am wrong! I hereby retract my observation...!]
--

[SIZE=-2]The Age[/SIZE]

Scientists race time to examine giant squid
[SIZE=-1]Xinhua, China - 54 minutes ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]BEIJING, July 11 (Xinhuanet) -- Scientists are racing against time to examine one of the largest giant squid ever found after it washed up on a remote ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Squid as Long as Bus Washes Up on Australian Beach [SIZE=-1]FOX News[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Rare giant squid washed up in Australia [SIZE=-1]Reuters[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Bus long squid washed up on Aussie beach [SIZE=-1]ic Wales[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]NEWS.com.au - NEWS.com.au[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 62 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

Attachments

• conv_303063.jpg
    conv_303063.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 137
[News]: Giant squid washes up on Tas beach - 2GB News

Giant squid washes up on Tas beach
[SIZE=-1]2GB News, Australia - 53 minutes ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The giant squid weighs 250 kilograms, has a diameter as big as a truck tyre and is longer than a station wagon, one of the biggest ever discovered. ...[/SIZE]

More...

Pharyngula gave us a plug about how this is the place to go to discuss this (thanks PZ): http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/07/finding_a_big_dead_thing_would.php

so I guess we'd better think of clever things to say.

The Reuters article says it's Architeuthis and it doesn't look like most of the Mesonychoteuthis pics to me... they usually seem to have sort of a wide mantle when they're out of the water, and this one seems to be pretty cylindrical. My :twocents: is on :archi: particularly because Tasmania's somewhat north of colossal squid country.

Massive squid washes up on Tasmania
[SIZE=-1]Science Daily (press release) - 18 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]They are deep-ocean dwelling squid ... > full article Intelligence of squid and octopuses -- The cephalopod class of mollusks are considered the most ...[/SIZE]

More...

Monster squid washes in with the waves
[SIZE=-1]New Zealand Herald, New Zealand - 14 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]HOBART - A giant squid washed up dead on Tasmania's west coast is one of the biggest ever found, weighing in at 250kg, with a cross-section as big as a ...[/SIZE]

More...

Giant squid washes up in Australia
[SIZE=-1]Detroit Free Press, United States - 18 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]AP HOBART, Australia — A squid as long as a bus and weighing 550 pounds washed up on an Australian beach, officials said Wednesday. ...[/SIZE]

More...

GIANT SQUID HITS AUSTRALIAN BEACH
[SIZE=-1]ABC News - 20 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A giant squid washed up onto Ocean Beach in Strahan, Tasmania, Wednesday. The squid, measuring 3 feet across at its widest point and 26 feet from the tip of ...[/SIZE]

More...

GIANT SQUID HITS AUSTRALIA BEACH
[SIZE=-1]ABC News - 21 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A giant squid washed up onto Ocean Beach in Strahan, Tasmania, on Wednesday. The squid, measuring 1 meter (3 feet) across at its widest point and 8 meters ...[/SIZE]

More...

Giant squid! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtaghn!
[SIZE=-1]SkullRing.org, MS - 7 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A giant squid reported to be as long as a bus washed up on a beach in Australia this week. In what must be an entry for the "understatement of the year" ...[/SIZE]

More...

[SIZE=-2]Mongabay.com[/SIZE]

giant squid found in Australia
[SIZE=-1]Mongabay.com - 18 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A giant squid has washed up on a beach on the western coast of the Australian island Tasmania, reports Reuters. The beast measured eight meters (26 feet) ...[/SIZE]

More...

Thanks Taollan -- I just moved my post from Ceph News to here (with a redirect in the original forum). I wanted to put it into the appropriate Family forum, but I actually didn't think it was Architeuthis, so I went generic. :oops:.... I'll lock this thread in favor of the other. Thanks!

My sentiments exactly, and the 1 meter/ 3 foot width seems a bit awkward to me, judging by the pictures. 8 meters total length for this specimen is plain weird, unless they count the assumed length of the missing tentacles, obviously. 2m ML seems about right, making it big, but stil 10"/25 cm's short of recorddom.

OK guys, I can see that one coming, don't! :wink:

[News]: Rare giant squid washed up on Tas West Coast - Sail World

[SIZE=-2]Sail World[/SIZE]

Rare giant squid washed up on Tas West Coast
[SIZE=-1]Sail World, Australia - 9 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The rare giant squid washed up on the State's remote West Coast is the fourth found in Tasmania in the month of July in the past 11 years. ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Rare giant squid on its way to Hobart [SIZE=-1]IBN News[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Giant squid on Tassie beach [SIZE=-1]Courier Mail[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Giant squid washes up on Tas beach [SIZE=-1]2GB News[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 5 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back