[Featured]: Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

I am locking this thread -- Dr. Steve O'Shea is talking about this (and has posted a pic courtesy of NZ Dept. of Conservation) [URL2="[URL="http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/477/#post-102773"]Architeuthis again (never a dull moment in New Zealand)[/URL]"]here[/URL2].

erich orser;97991 said:
They keep saying "as long as a bus". Don't they mean "double-decker bus"?

Whilst in the States I noticed that you stretch everything (I took some pics of some seriously mean stretched SUVs). One thing I didn't see was a stretched bus. Come to think of it I never saw a truncated bus either. A bus would appear to be a good unit of measure.:wink:

Wow, yeah, those are some great pictures of a great specimen!

Got any more pictures for us, Debi? I'd love to see some closeups of the skin, particularly, since I've pretty much never seen pics of Architeuthis with the skin intact like that. Oh, and closeups of the eyes would be great, too...

I'm curious if it had identifiable prey in its gut, too, of course... heck, I'm pretty interested in general!

[News]: Rare squid found off Keys - The News-Press

Rare squid found off Keys
[SIZE=-1]The News-Press, FL - Aug 16, 2007[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Debi Ingrao, left, a senior biologist for Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota lies next to what is tentatively a juvenile giant squid, or Architeuthis while ...[/SIZE]

More...

Now THIS is what happens to any lab that hosts a TONMOCON, may it be an inspiration to the NIOZ here in Den Helder:smile:

Great find! Overall appearance (fins!) really seems to indicate a proper ID, very, very exciting...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back