Architeuthis again (never a dull moment in New Zealand)

One of the things that has kept us busy for a while. I have a monster female turning up in a few days (below), and have to pickle this down also

Attachments

• conv_289708.jpg
    conv_289708.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 107
Not decomposed T; just frozen in a great block (and blast frozen on capture, so it is absolutely perfecto, albeit a little distorted at present [was placed on a pellet, hence its shape]). S, I've a huge stainless steel pickling tank here, well and truly large enough to pickle this beast (and a small whale or two); I've also a smaller 2 metre tank that is perfect for smaller beasts.

This incoming squid looks like one of the largest we've had so far; easily 2 metres in ML.

Hi Steve.........wow she's a beauty!! I'd be interested in the dimensions (incl weight!!!) IF it's OK , we, as you know have your Messie model and often have to compare sizes between Messie and Archie and we'd love to have up to date info!!!!!

Cheers

Jean

It looks like there's a ramora or lamprey on the right side of the mantle, but that seems pretty improbable... is that just some fish that got frozen to it?

I was tempted to whine that no one sends me cool stuff like that, but since I don't have a giant vat, it's probably just as well... :roll:

Am busy pickling it down now; the University does smell somewhat! It is in rather nice condition, but as is usually the case, there are no tentacles.

I am trying something slightly different with this one; the first 24 hours saw it in 2% formalin solution, and I've just bumped that up to 4% solution a few minutes ago. This is an approach Gunther von Hagens mentioned to me ... and I was nervous to try it (normally I'd blast it with 10% formalin, and inject through the animal).

I must admit that the condition of the animal looks better (less surface wrinkling), but time will tell. In a couple of days we'll post pics (I have none; others have plenty); in a week I'll change the formalin solution (it's a 'bit' grubby now) and will be able to have a good look at its condition.

My back is officially broken!

Here are some shots of her arrival.

Attachments

• conv_289779.jpg
    conv_289779.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 119
  • conv_289780.jpg
    conv_289780.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 90
  • conv_289781.jpg
    conv_289781.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 106
And Steve's palpable excitement.

Attachments

• conv_289782.jpg
    conv_289782.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 100
  • conv_289783.jpg
    conv_289783.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 103
  • conv_289784.jpg
    conv_289784.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 97
monty;80125 said:
It looks like there's a ramora or lamprey on the right side of the mantle, but that seems pretty improbable... is that just some fish that got frozen to it?

It's a rattail (there were 3), and it turns out to be Caelorinchus maurifasciatus, about which virtually nothing is known. As far as I know, all that is known about that species, is the original paper describing it. I'll be doing gut-content analysis on them later this week. There was also a barracudina in there as well. These fish were most likely bycatch that just got caught up with the squid in the trawl net.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back