Architeuthis again (never a dull moment in New Zealand)

Patience is a virtue, herr Doktor... :biggrin2: Yes, it will be wonderful to see...should be quite amazing !

Another one just caught. It'll be on its way up to us shortly, via the National Museum of NZ (and cobber Bruce Marshall). Sounds like a mature female (the squid, not Bruce).

I had a rather long talk with the chap from the fishing industry that's saved this one. I'll not mention his name (for his sake), but a very decent fellow he was (most are in fact - it's just that their livelihood and that of the environment aren't really in complete balance, and I'm rather outspoken ... and generally disliked by the industry).

I'm in no hurry to examine this one - there are so many other things that are happening - but it's good to know that they're still out there, doing the old tender-loving breeding thing :wink: .

I've been swamped by Canadian reporters today re these Newfoundland squid strandings. I think you'll see some press in a day or so.

Steve O'Shea said:
I've been swamped by Canadian reporters today re these Newfoundland squid strandings. I think you'll see some press in a day or so.

Ever since we made giant squid the #1 Yahoo search topic for October the media has cottoned on to how popular big squid are up here. :mrgreen: :canada: :archi:

First german Architheutis exhibition

Greetings from germany!
I hope i´m in the right forum section,
i just found this article on the site of the biggest german news magazine "Spiegel". It features the first german architheutis exhibition in the museum of Stralsund. According to the article the 6m specimen was captured in august 2003 by some fishermen near New Zealand.

There´s also a short mention of the plastination of an architheutis by Gunther van Hagens at the end of the article.

For a full translation i recommend babelfish :smile:
Seems like i finally get to see a real architheutis :biggrin2:

Ausstellungseröffnung: Tiefseemonster in Stralsund

She's extremely photogenic, isn't she!! These from our latest wee escapade.

Attachments

• conv_288020.jpg
    conv_288020.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 96
  • conv_288021.jpg
    conv_288021.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 86
  • conv_288022.jpg
    conv_288022.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 103
And this rather scarce one of the skin/chromatophores. Shame about the colour (lack of flash), but there aren't too many shots like this out there.

Attachments

• conv_288023.jpg
    conv_288023.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 90
Ohhhhh, two can play at this game!

Attachments

• conv_288026.jpg
    conv_288026.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 103
  • conv_288027.jpg
    conv_288027.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 115
  • conv_288028.jpg
    conv_288028.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 109
Tintenfisch said:
Ohhhhh, two can play at this game!

In that last pic, all I can think of is that Steve is doing a "Han Solo arguing with Jabba's squid enforcer" imitation. Must be all the Star Wars hype in the air. There doesn't seem to be an appropriate smiley for "yes, I know I'm weird"-- it seems like that would get a lot of usage around here...

Hi Steve, hi Tintenfisch, thanks for posting the pictures. In the image of the chromatophores, how much color was lost because of the lack of a flash?

--Carl
div34.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back